4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 11:08 AM by Jim_Simon

Footage randomly doesn't not work on timeline

nickbenjaminkhoo

Hey there,

I have an issue where seemingly random footage on the timeline, imported from the same camera, is not playing back on the timeline. In fact it locks up the timeline and does not allow me to edit for at least 5 minutes. I have attached some screens shots of my timeline properties, the properties of the footage locking up and what it looks like on the timeline (notice how there is no yellow bar to indicate it can be played)

001 Screen shot 1.png

002 Footage specs.png003 no processing.png

Can you help me out here? Cause it's getting annoying to have to jump to FCP, render out the footage I need, then come back.

Have I got a setting in the timeline that is wrong?

Thanks in advance!

• 2. Re: Footage randomly doesn't not work on timeline
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What version of Premiere Pro?

How exactly are you importing these files?

I see that the info for your files says they're XDCAM EX. Are you importing the entire BPAV directory? Are you using the Media Browser?

If these are XDCAM EX files, why are they wrapped in .mov? Are they coming off of the camera that way?

Why are you using the XDCAM HD editing mode if your footage is XDCAM EX?

> (notice how there is no yellow bar to indicate it can be played)

That's not what the absence of a yellow bar means. The absence of a colored render bar can indicate that the clip uses a codec that can certainly be played back in real time without needing a preview file.

• 3. Re: Footage randomly doesn't not work on timeline
            nickbenjaminkhoo Level 1

Its Premiere Pro CS5.5

I am also on a Mac using OSX LION if that makes any difference.

the footage was originally imported through Final Cut Pro through it's log and transfer system and wrapped up in  a quicktime wrapper (as all things on Mac tend to do). I just recently switched over to Premiere from FCP and I am not particularly familiar with how to set everything up.

What I have done is import an XML file from Final Cut Pro into premiere. Would there be an issue there?

If the footage is EX XDCAM and my timeline is HD XDCAM will that affect the performance of the footage on the timeline. When I go to change the codec settings, the settings for the sequence seemed lock. How can I change that?

• 4. Re: Footage randomly doesn't not work on timeline
              Jim_Simon Level 8

the footage was originally imported through Final Cut Pro through it's log and transfer system

Try using the original media instead.