4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 4:20 AM by Dan Jacobsen

Possible memory leak with saving in AE CS5

Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Hi there,

We have a new PC running CS5, my previous experience was with CS3 on a G5 Mac.

After a while of use I'm getting memory based error messages

We seem to have a memory leak associated in part with saving projects.

We have a composition

(running with 8 processes each with 1.5GB and 4GB for OS tasks)

The Main AFX Process after opening the composistion is idling with 1.9GB RAM

Every time we save (after doing nothing other than adding and removing a single keyframe or toggling transparancy on a single layer) the amount of RAM used by the core AFX process grows by 0.5GB

When this hits 10.8GB the application hangs.

When the memory usage is high tasks like rendering and RAM previewing are hard and we invariably we get one of a variety of error messages including...

After Effects warning: A Frame failed to render whilst using Render Multiple Frames Silmultaneously. Allocating more memory to the background processes in Memory & Multiprocessing Preferences may fix this problem.

After Effects error: Unable to allocate enough memory to render the current frame (1050x576 @ 8 bpc.) Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM

After Effects: Unable to allocate 0.063 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / object or shadow fragments)

Incidentaly when we purge after performing a RAM Preview we gain all the memory used except the 0.5GB per save which appears to be "lost" somewhere unreachable.

HP Z800

Win7 Pro 64

Dual Quad Xeon 2.93G with HT on

24GB DDR3 1333MHz EEC

Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 1.5G

AFX CS5 (10.0.2)

Matrox MX02 Mini.

• 1. Re: Possible memory leak with saving in AE CS5
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Don't think so. Either it's the Matrox stuff or you are using a leaky plug-in that doesn't flush it's buffer and the initial 0.5 GB being "lost" would seem to confirm this - it's outside AE's memory address space and cannot be purged or overwritten. While there are leaks in AE even in CS5.5, this scenario really is nothing I have ever seen with just vanilla AE, but I have seen it with Beta plug-ins I had the pleasure of testing...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Possible memory leak with saving in AE CS5
            Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Thankys Myl,

We were just testing on other projects and things seemed far more normal.

This project is huge, about 50MB saves, I think I'm going to start a cut down version and lose a lot of the old stuff.

In the problematic project I was using Sapphire plugins and Zaxwerks Invigorator 1.0.2, although just 3 objects on one layer. The Sapphires are MatteOps, Gradient... I think that's it.

I guess Zaxwerks is likely suspect although I thought it was reputable.

There are also 750 plugins in total on the machine. These are Sapphire, Zaxwerks, Magic Bullet, some DigiEffects and Trapcode Suite. All of with I thought were supposed to be stable.

If it is Zaxwerks is there anything I can do to get around the issue? Except either to not use it or to reset After Effects every 10mins.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Possible memory leak with saving in AE CS5
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Hard to pin down. In fact you could only nail this by monitoring your task manager all the time and using each plug-in separately most likely. I wouldn't preclude Sapphire being the culprit here - it's perfectly possible it acts up as the GenArts stuff uses its own method of connecting to external processing libraries via local ports which could conflict with the similar method used for MP/ DynmamicLink. if it's Zax, then it would be best to contact them asap. Since they only updated their products for CS5/ CS5.5 rather late in the game, you may have encountered a problem they are not even aware of yet. if they already are, they may have a fix...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Possible memory leak with saving in AE CS5
                Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Thx Myl,

Well I've made a smaller version of the project and things have vastly improved - Only need to reset every few hours now. When I get a chance I'll try to do some tests on Sapphire and Zaxerks.

Incidently, our engineer posted up out RAM and core distribution settings in my original post. How do they look? We're not entirely sure on the optimum setting.

Thanks