12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 3:29 PM by Peter Spier

cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades

apaula8

I will upgrade to CS5.5 but my dealer says that I have two options: Acrobat X or CS5.5 or both.

I do not understand this as Adobe sells a whole package. Is Adobe selling in Latin America two products?

The cost is $874 without taxes in Colombia.

Of course I know that in Europe the software is more expensive. But it seems just a little strange.

My sister will fly to the States in six months. It is valid to buy software in the States for another country?

• 1. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades
          peter minneapolis Level 4

apaula8 wrote:

I will upgrade to CS5.5 but my dealer says that I have two options: Acrobat X or CS5.5 or both.

I do not understand this as Adobe sells a whole package. Is Adobe selling in Latin America two products?

The cost is $874 without taxes in Colombia.

Of course I know that in Europe the software is more expensive. But it seems just a little strange.

My sister will fly to the States in six months. It is valid to buy software in the States for another country?

This is on my unopened InDesign CS5.5 Macintosh USA retail box:

adobe north american restrictions.png

(The white line is the shrinkwrap seam.)

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The person buying it would be in the US so I don't really see a problem with that.

It's not be sold in a different country. People buy things in the US all the time when visiting from other countries.

Bob

• 3. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades

BobLevine wrote:

The person buying it would be in the US so I don't really see a problem with that.

It's not be sold in a different country. People buy things in the US all the time when visiting from other countries.

Bob

It depends on what the meaning of "distribution" is.

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 4. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I suppose so, but I'm going with selling as the definition. It's impossible to control any other way.

What if you traveled to Europe with your laptop and your CS installation was corrupt? If you had brought the disk with you, would you be able install it? Of course you would. I see no difference here. If you buy it here you can use it anywhere.

Disclaimer: IANAL

Bob

• 5. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades
                  apaula8 Level 1

Peter:

Are two products?  That is my question.

If I buy in the States and use in my country is just an action against the fair play, or really I am violating any law?

Thinks my dealer is opening the box and selling them and obtaining an extra benefit.

An Adobe reseller. It seems is a real offense?

• 6. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Acrobat is aon a different cycle from the rest of the Creative Suite. I believe CS5.5 ships with Acrobat X, CS5 with Acrobat 9.

• 7. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

I am also not a lawyer, but my interpretation of the United States law here is that you cannot be barred from travelling to the United States, purchasing software, and the transporting it to another country. It becomes slightly less clear if your sister does so, but as a practical matter, I do not think there is a problem. Remember, also, that companies may make claims in their license agreements that they are not legally allowed to make, or are not legally enforcable. So it is not sufficient to simply read the packaging and EULA materials.

In particular, I believe the word "distribution" in the posted image refers to resale by dealers (and others), not end-users.

There are several different packages for Adobe Creative Suite products sold in the United States, and, I think, globally. You can purchase InDesign standalone, you can purchase Acrobat X standalone, and you can purchase a suite product like Design Standard or Design Premium that includes both of them, as well as several other products. I do not believe there is a packae that includes only InDesign and Acrobat X.

Thinks my dealer is opening the box and selling them and obtaining an extra benefit.

An Adobe reseller. It seems is a real offense?

That seems unlikely. Because of the way Adobe's serial number and licensing system works, the only thing of real value in the package is the serial number, and for retail packages, those serial numbers can only be used a very small number of times, so it would be difficult to effectively pull off fraud in this way, and I believe Adobe expends real resources making sure this does not happen.

• 8. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades
                        apaula8 Level 1

Now I am afraid  my reseller is doing something that annoys me: dividing the suite in two packages and offering two discs...

As the CS5.5 is a whole package, if I want only the Suite upgrade –not Acrobat–my reseller should open a sealed software?

Anyway I am not confident.

I will report this to somebody in Adobe (Any help?) and will buy my software in the States. Is not a crime. It is an opportunity to avoid the resellers' strange methods.

Bob: Thank you.

• 9. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades

BobLevine wrote:

Bob

It may no longer apply, but in the distant past, the prohibition was based on the encryption scheme used in US versions; IIRC, it was a government standard of some kind that was somehow to be restricted to the US.

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 10. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades
                            ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Well, one thing that is pretty certain is if you try to buy Adobe software in a geography other than your own, you will not likely be able to receive local support - or could be caught in a situation where you can't receive customer service from anywhere at all, because you don't live in the U.S. either.

Have heard this elsewhere too, but this is an excerpt from a support chat we had last week about Adobe's license transfer options:

PDT:  Another question we  get sometimes is, is it possible for someone to buy Adobe software in  the USA (new box) and then import it to another country?
                            Rona: 
                            No, that is not accepted. As the technical support and the other available support will not be provided if done that way.

• 11. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades
                              Stix Hart Level 5

ProDesignTools wrote:

As the technical support and the other available support will not be provided if done that way.

That wouldn't put me off...  Their technical support isn't worth the cost of the phone call.

• 12. Re: cs5.5 and acrobat x:prices and upgrades
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Seems like we give support both to and from the entire globe right here. Most of the ime there's no way to tell where someone is when they post.