9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 7:28 AM by merton69

Printing CMYK using InDesign CS3

merton69

I am currently using an Epson SX200 to print CMYK from Adobe CS3 InDesign but it comes out in RGB.

The trouble is when I select the 'Output' folder I cannot choose the Composite CMYK selector as it is 'greyed out'! Only the RGB is available.

To test this I attempted to print a 100% Cyan box but when it printed it had Magenta in it.

Please, how can I get my InDesign to print in CMYK.

I have gone through many Preferences but all the CMYK options appear to be 'greyed out'!

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Printing CMYK using InDesign CS3
          bret_linford Level 1

Hi, Merton.

Any time you print to an inkjet printer, you don't print cmyk. It is only simulated. The only time you can really print cmyk is to a cmyk press. The reason you see magenta in the 'cyan' is that your printer is trying to simulate cyan. Your printer (and/or the InDesign color engine) is just trying to give you the best simulation possible of whatever you throw at it.

Why do you want to 'print cmyk'?

• 2. Re: Printing CMYK using InDesign CS3
            merton69 Level 1

Thanks for time Bret!

I presumed that because my Epson is a CYMK printer then the best results will be to print in CMYK!

Surely if you are printing 100% cyan colour then only cyan will be used in the inkjet?

Why should the print include magenta?

With most of my printing the colour never seems to match what is intended? I thought this was purely down to the printer having to convert the colours from CMYK to RGB as the preferences are only RGB.

And why is my CMYK print options all greyed out?

• 3. Re: Printing CMYK using InDesign CS3
              bret_linford Level 1

Hi, Merton.

A lot of questions there! You have a lot of good ones there, but a little knowledge of color management and how it works will get you far.

This forum is a good place to hang out because all of your questions deal with color management. A good place to start may be with the video below. Check out the videos places like X-rite has for free online. These can show you the basics and with a little calibration, you can get some very good results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn4kgPjWTMk

• 4. Re: Printing CMYK using InDesign CS3
                Level 4

merton69 wrote:

…I presumed that because my Epson is a CYMK printer…

No, it is NOT.  Your printer is not a "CMYK printer" but an RGB printer that happens to use a combination of various cyan, magenta, yellow and black ink cartridges to print your RGB images.

The printer expects to receive RGB images, and anytime anyone sends it a CMYK image, the printer driver converts it to RGB of the fly.  Always.

merton69 wrote:

…With most of my printing the colour never seems to match what is intended?…

No, not if you're sending it CMY images.  Your output will NEVER match your images that way. 

Start learning about color management here:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html

And keep this in mind:

The printer driver converts your CMYK images to RGB of the fly.  Always.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 5. Re: Printing CMYK using InDesign CS3
                  bret_linford Level 1

The printer driver converts your CMYK images to RGB of the fly.  Always.

Would it not be more accurate to say, "The printer driver converts CMYK to the color space of the printer"? For instance, if you have a printer with 8 ink colors, it has 8 color channels that make up its color gamut. Not three channels (RGB). And it would be even more accurate to say "The printer driver converts CMYK to Lab to the color space of the printer.

• 6. Re: Printing CMYK using InDesign CS3
                    Level 4

bret_linford wrote:

…it would be even more accurate to say "The printer driver converts CMYK to Lab to the color space of the printer.

No.  It uses Lab as a reference, but it does not "convert to Lab"…

You're here just to argue, vent or rant, not to obtain information.  I'm out of here.

Bye!

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 7. Re: Printing CMYK using InDesign CS3
                      bret_linford Level 1

Hello Wo Tai Lao Le.

I'm not here to argue. I'd really like to know what is accurate. I don't understand how an inkjet printer can be RGB when it has 8 channels, that is, inks. Thanks. All the best...

• 8. Re: Printing CMYK using InDesign CS3
                        thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Can an ink jet like an Epson print CMYK? Well yes, its using CMYK colorants among others.

Can you send CMYK data to and Epson and what happens? Well yes and no, it depends on the driver. The GDI and Quickdraw drivers Epson ships expect RGB data for a proprietary black box conversion to CMYK plus all the other inks. If you send it CMYK, it will convert the data to RGB first, and now well. Remove the driver and introduce what many (incorrectly call) a RIP (a better term is another print driver that may or may not be a true RIP) that does pass CMYK plus data, sure. Send CMYK. In the end, its semantics. The printer uses inks that contain Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black plus many possible color colors (could be orange, green, red).

• 9. Re: Printing CMYK using InDesign CS3
                          merton69 Level 1

Many thanks for all your input and please, let's not argue!

One thing none of you have answered yet is why is all my CMYK print options 'greyed out'?

How can I have them available for selection please?