2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 6:00 AM by chloemarty

Problems opening .fla files and getting error codes

chloemarty

Hello,

I am brand new to Flash and I am completely unsure on how to diagnose and resolve the problems I am having ... I am in an online program through the Art Institute and I am currently taking a course to learn the basics of Flash.

I am running Flash from CS4 on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8 and I am having problems opening some of the .fla files that people post. One of two things happens, either:

(1) when I try to open the .fla file I get an pop-up alert (below) and if I click OK the file doesn't open (and clicking OK is my only option, as you see);

Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 5.51.47 PM.png
      OR

(2) I go to open the .fla file and it appears to be opening but then the screen is blank and I get two error reports in the Output pane which says:
      "VerifyError: Error #1053: Illegal override of isRelatedObjectInaccessible in .RemappedMouseEvent.
      ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable_e9a752f233536079fc4486d6ac92a1b05a633a5657d5b83ad7fac2246298b191_flash_display_S prite is not defined."
      Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 5.54.40 PM.png

I tried installing all available updates for Flash and that did not solve it. I also tried opening the same .fla files on my husbands MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.8 running CS4 and got the same problems. Is this a problem with CS4? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!
      Best,
      Chloe

• 1. Re: Problems opening .fla files and getting error codes
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

A. You can't open .fla files saved as CS5 version files in Flash CS4. So if the file that you are attempting to open was saved from Flash CS5, you can't open it. The file format has been completely changed from version CS4 to CS5.

B. You may need to use the "Open" command from the File menu. If you attempt to open a .fla by double clicking on the file name, it may not open. This usually happens when the file was created on a different platform. If you are attempting to open the file directly from the server, try downloading the file to your desktop first. Then open the file.

C. If the file was uploaded to the server incorrectly, then the file will not open. You have no control over this.

Do others in the class have the same or similar problems with the same files?

Those two errors that you quote, #1053 and #1065, are Actionscript errors in the files themselves. You have no control over this problem.

• 2. Re: Problems opening .fla files and getting error codes
            chloemarty Level 1

Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for your complete answer of my question! I am in the process of getting CS5 so hopefully that will resolve the majority of my issues. I have posted in my online classroom asking if anyone else is having this problem, but no one has indicated so yet. I will also try the Open command instead of double-clicking as I had been doing.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to post an answer to my question.

Best,
            Chloe