6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 5:30 AM by Peter Spier

Text Related Running Heads, Zero Leading Takes up Space

Ken Krugh Level 1

Checking in to see if anyone can offer different ways of handling text related running heads.

We've been putting an extra paragraph in the main chapter story on the page whose style has zero leading and whose text contains the running head text. We then have a text variable in the running head that refers to that paragraph. In our page depth we've been compensating for the fact that a zero leading paragraph actually takes up .01 pts.

We're currently paging the first book from a particular series in InDesign. The layout of those pages is such that the zero leading taking up .01 points is a bit more problematic.

I've noticed that a frame set outside the margin with the running head text works as long as the frame is snapped to the top margin when the text variable is looking back and snapped to the bottom margin when the text variable is looking forward.

Has anyone come up with some other way of getting the text related heads in there and compensating for the .01 points that the zero leading occupies?

Thanks,

Ken

• 1. Re: Text Related Running Heads, Zero Leading Takes up Space
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This sort of tag does not need to be in the running text to be seen by the variable. Perhaps an anchored object if you need it to move with the text?

The question in my mind, though, is why you need it at all? Dose this text not already appear someplace? Variables look back to find the text on a previous page if the style is not present on the current page.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Text Related Running Heads, Zero Leading Takes up Space
            Ken Krugh Level 1

Unfortunately the text doesn't appear anywhere else.

The series has Greek or Latin on the left pages and the English translation on the right pages. Many times the left page's text contains paragraph numbers at the beginning of each paragraph and "line" numbers that are anchored frames which set in the outer margin. The running head is a combination of the paragraph number and the line numbers that appear on the left pages. So if paragraph number 1 is on the page, and marginal numbers 5 through 9 are on the page then the running head sets as BOOK XVI 1.5-1.9, where "BOOK XVI" is constant for that particular InD file, it is akin to a chapter in the original papyri.

Hmm, I MAY be able to achieve what I need by using character styles on the various pieces. Though I suspect there maybe instances where that won't work depending on how the text falls.

An anchored text frame might be best, but that didn't seem to work. As I mentioned in the first post, simply placing a text frame on the page (in the outer margin) seems to work as long as that frame was snapped to the top of the page when the variable was set to First on page, and snapped to the bottom margin when the variable is set to Last on page. I even tried setting the anchored object options so the anchored frame set at the top of bottom of the page, but it still didn't seem to work.

Any idea what I might be missing with the anchored object?

Thanks for your time!

Ken

• 3. Re: Text Related Running Heads, Zero Leading Takes up Space

So you are saying, I think, that your header could look like "<custom text variable> 1.<running head variable -- character style(first on page)> -1.<running head variable -- character style(last on page)>" where the custom variable is the Book for the file (and maybe if it remains the same throught he whole file you could just set the text rather than use a variable for that part), and you can assign a character style to the line numbers. Do line numbers always appear at the first and last lines on the page? I don't think you need any addtional tag at all, but I may not understand you properly.

• 4. Re: Text Related Running Heads, Zero Leading Takes up Space
                Ken Krugh Level 1

Yes, that's the jist. And you're correct, there is a part of the running head text that is constant and would not have to be a text variable.

The line numbers are actually keyed to running "regular" paragraph style text and because they don't actually count the lines on our typeset page, rather the lines in the original papyri, they can appear anywhere vertically in the left margin. There can be any number of line numbers on a page from none to the number of lines that are actually typeset on the page, though the latter is unlikely.

I've a feeling we're going to end up using text frames, its a slightly more straight forward technique and would leave less hunting around to find what is actually making up the running head. Now if I can get the anchoring to work, that'd be ideal.

Thanks again,

Ken

• 5. Re: Text Related Running Heads, Zero Leading Takes up Space
                  Ken Krugh Level 1

For anyone interested: Looks like anchoring the frames in CS3 and trying to use the text within them as text related running heads does NOT work.

It DOES, however, work in CS5. Don't know about CS4.

Any other clever input in this would be welcome.

Thanks,

Ken

• 6. Re: Text Related Running Heads, Zero Leading Takes up Space

Ken, I'm still not clear what you are putting into these frames. Is it just the line numbers? If that's the case they don't need to be anchored, just stuck on the pages someplace with the first number higher  (and at least as far to the left) than the second. Use an object style to make the frames non-printing and set the text style to something that makes it stand out -- I like red -- so you can see at a glance that you have the right things in the right places when you aren't in preview mode.