5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 2:50 PM by rob day

How can I pubish SWF interactive magazine to flash based website? It's not working!

scpclaura

I hope someone can help me launch my first interactive magazine (SWF) to our website with ID 5. Okay, my hard copy mag came out great so then I started on the interactive edition. Everything was going swell with adding 3 short videos ( FLV  ) and creating 3 slide shows. When I previewed it by exporting to SWF I could preview it in my browser fine. Page curls, fade in words (although the “hide until animated” options only works in two out of about 7 instances. (same settings) file:///C:/Users/lauralaptop/Documents/NEW%20PUBLICATION%20QUARTERLY%20JOURNAL%202011%20se pt%202/LIFE%20apr-may-june%202011%201st%20issue%20INTERACTIVE%20TRYOUT%20Aug%2031%204pm.ht ml

I then followed instructions from another Adobe exercise, exported it to Flash, went to Publish Settings, but of course when I pressed “publish” I didn’t get the same result as the teacher…I got an error message about text. I searched a forum with the same message I got and saw that making sure my text setting was set for Classic, solved someone else’s problem. So I did and was able to “publish”. But now, when I open either the SWF or HTML file, it’ just rapidly repeating the 12 pages in my file in a loop!

file:///C:/Users/lauralaptop/Desktop/LIFE%20apr-may-june%202011%201st%20issue%20INTERACTIV E%20TRYOUT%20Aug%2031%204pm.html

I have spent most of the summer self teaching myself InDesign CS5 (not easy!) and am excited to be able to put out an interactive SWF file that can be opened in a Flash player through our Flash based website. I feel like I’m just inches away for launch but now I’m getting frustrated. Isn’t this going to be possible?

Also, when I publish it in Flash, it creates a SWF file AND an HTML file. But on our website, I have only one option to make a link to a document OR an outside link to open a file. How does that work?

Many thanks for whoever can help me out here. This was supposed to be a spring issue. Had to change it to summer and now I guess it’s a fall launch!

• 1. Re: How can I pubish SWF interactive magazine to flash based website? It's not working!
          scpclaura Level 1

Sorry, this is my first post. didn't know you wouldn't be able to open the links I provided.

• 2. Re: How can I pubish SWF interactive magazine to flash based website? It's not working!
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            But now, when I open either the SWF or HTML file, it’ just rapidly repeating the 12 pages in my file in a loop!

When you export to FLA the page turning code is not included, so you will lose the animations if you publish from Flash—unless you are fluent in ActionScript you'll need to export to SWF. When you export a SWF an HTML loader page is included so you should be able to upload the html doc along with the .swf to a folder on your server in order to create a page—something like www.mysite.com/mymagazine/august.html where mymagazine is the folder, august.html is the generated html that loads august.swf

• 3. Re: How can I pubish SWF interactive magazine to flash based website? It's not working!
              scpclaura Level 1

Thank you for your quick reply, Rob. Well, i can't open the link you gave me to mysite (got a 404 error), could you resend it?

Originally, I exported the file to SWF (player) and just tried to link that file from our flash based website. It opens fine, page curls fine, slide shows fine, but when you click on the photos with videos, page 5 (father and baby) and two others, the image disappears and only a white comes up to fill that area.

http://scpres.org/#/media-sermons-online/our-publications. Could you go to this link on our website to see what I mean? Go to the NEWSBREAK TRANSFORMS and click on the Life, Stories of Transformation.

Rob, here is where i have very limited knowledge: As I said we use a flash based (read very user friendly) web hosting company. When I am in the back end to upload the swf file, I have only one option  - "attach a video, attach a document, attach a link" so how would I upload a "folder" with more than one item to the server?

I thought it would be considered a video since the SWF file says SWF movie, but when I when i try to upload as a video, it doesn't come up as importable. (am i sounding really stupid?) Maybe I should admit that yes, I'm an ID5 newbie AND yes,  I'm no spring chicken but I have been working in CS2,3,4 for several years and now 5 and am quite proficient in the create aspect of Adobe products. It's just now the technical part about how to actually get my  in work published to the site.There isn't anyone else in my company able to help me so I have to reach out to this forum!

I love ID and this is just my first effort but I'm looking forward to creating many more interactive magazines for my company.

Thanks for any help.

• 4. Re: How can I pubish SWF interactive magazine to flash based website? It's not working!
                scpclaura Level 1

I meant to upload this snipping with the image of my back end options. sorry again.

linking options clover.JPG

• 5. Re: How can I pubish SWF interactive magazine to flash based website? It's not working!
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Thank you for your quick reply, Rob. Well, i can't open the link you gave me to mysite (got a 404 error), could you resend it?

The address I gave is a made up example, I was just demonstrating how you would get a swf to play on an html page if you were uploading files via an FTP client. It looks like you don't have the option to embed a swf via your backend. Is there a tech support?