11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 4:11 PM by alvarogg19

ISRC Code number

alvarogg19 Level 1

Hi,
      I'm editing a videoclip that is going to MTV Europe.

I'm in Latin America and of course I need to transfert it to Pal system. They send me an MTV application form.

It says this: "ISRC NUMBER *PLEASE ENSURE THIS IS THE ISRC FOR THE VIDEO, NOT THE SOUND

RECORDING. PLS ALSO ENSURE THAT THIS HAS NO MORE OR LESS THAN 12 DIGITS (NOT
      COUNTING HYPHENS)"

I need some help on how can I put that code to the video? I've read somewhere about metadata but I'm not sure if that's the way.

And about the 12 digits. What's the procedure to put them on it? Do I choose which numbers I put on? Or how do I get them?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: ISRC Code number
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

I have not done any direct broadcast distribution to Europe,
          but IRSC code appears to be the equivalent of the US ISCI code.

This code does not need to be embedded into the file itself.
          It is simply a unique identifier code that is used in the slate information
          and as the filename itself for distribution and tracking. I always

make them up myself then and inform all concerned parties what it is.
          I will normally use a series of letters that identify the agency & client,
          followed by the date of distribution.

Example:
          McCann Erickson
          Coca-Cola spot 1
          09/05/11

ISCI code:
          MECC-09-05-11-1
          filename:
          MCECC0905111.mpg (or whatever the specified delivery format may be)

• 2. Re: ISRC Code number
            alvarogg19 Level 1

Thanks Joe

I don't know about that. Look at this forum here in Adobe I found about ISRC codes.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/684508?tstart=1

It seems is different from that ISCI code used in USA.

But I don't get it.

• 3. Re: ISRC Code number

But I don't get it.

I suggest contacting the folks who sent you the form
              and telling them you don't know what to do.

• 4. Re: ISRC Code number
                Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You cannot "make up" an ISRC code, you must be issued a registrant prefix by the IFPI registry for your country of origin, then you add the year and a unique 5-digit number to the end of that prefix for each recording you issue.

http://www.ifpi.org/content/section_resources/isrc_agencies.html

Read their website, email or call your local agency, and ask for a prefix.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: ISRC Code number

Dave,

Thanks for clarifying... as I disclaimed in my first post,
                  I have not done any direct broadcast distribution to Europe
                  (as I now assume you have).

In your experience with IRSC codes, what method (if any)
                  is employed to embed the code into a broadcast A/V file?

• 6. Re: ISRC Code number
                    alvarogg19 Level 1

Thanks both of you,

My country is not in the list. I'll email to another country asking for instructions.

I add myself to the question of Joe. After having the code, how do I embed it?

• 7. Re: ISRC Code number
                      Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There's no "official" way to add an ISRC to an electronically-distributed file. The Handbook defines how to add it to the header data in mechanicals (CDs, DVDs, DAT, etc.) but if we're sending someone an audio or video file, we put it in the XMP metadata "description" tag, in the form "ISRC: cc-xxx-yy-nnnnn". If for some obscure reason we have to send a WAV file, we use BWF headers and shove it in there instead.

The problem is not with where it could be put (adding a custom "ISRC" tag to the XMP tree is the logical way to do it), but that pretty much nothing will read and display that custom tag. IFPI are supposedly consulting on where to put it, but right now as we know almost any software can see "description", and it's not essential for any other purpose given we have tags for title, author, etc., "description" seems the best place to put it so a remote engineer with XYZ Software can find it again without jumping through hoops.

The ISRC code is not an end-user thing, it's an industry thing - so b/c or labels can positively identify where some random recording came from, and make sure they're paying the right person. While it's usually burned into audio CD headers, it's rare on DVDs and isn't broadcast - in fact even if a CD has ISRCs in the table of contents block, almost no playback software will display the codes or transfer them into ripped files, so an end user has no idea they're there.

iTunes insists on every track having an ISRC, purely for correlation against CDDB. If you're sending stuff to a pressing plant, some people want it embedded, some want an Excel sheet listing the tracks and ISRCs, and some just want a label on the CD. In terms of digital video, ask three broadcasters where to put it and you'll get three answers, and three impolite suggestions. In the days of videos biked to a studio on tape, many people put it on the leader.

• 8. Re: ISRC Code number

Thanks for taking the time to post this very interesting information.
                        I think I'm relieved that the few projects I've done for European (eastern)
                        distribution were delivered as NTSC HD files, and the post house there
                        handled the PAL conversion and broadcast distribution.

To address the OP's question regarding a method of embedding
                        the ISRC code into a digital A/V file... it will likely be a matter of

getting a definitive submission specification from the broadcast outlet
                        (in the OP's case, MTV Europe).

• 9. Re: ISRC Code number