1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 5:04 AM by Jeff Bellune

Rendering an AE composition in Premiere vs rendering it first in AE and then in Premiere

dsnow123

Let's say that I have a sequence with ProRes LT clips.  One of the clips needs some compositing in AE.  Using Dynamic Link, I replace that clip in the sequence with an AE composition.  In AE I do the compositing, which is then automatically reflected in the sequence in Premiere.

When I render out that sequence (with the AE comp inside), will the quality of the comp in the rendered file be the same if I had not used Dynamic Link and instead worked directly on the clip that needed compositing in AE, rendered it using a lossless codec, and then used the resulting file in my sequence?

In other words, when rendering an AE composition made through Dynamic Link in Premiere, does the comp get rendered twice (once by AE, then by Premiere), or is the comp effectively only rendered by Premiere?

• 1. Re: Rendering an AE composition in Premiere vs rendering it first in AE and then in Premiere
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          When I render out that sequence (with the AE comp inside), will the quality of the comp in the rendered file be the same if I had not used Dynamic Link and instead worked directly on the clip that needed compositing in AE, rendered it using a lossless codec, and then used the resulting file in my sequence?

Yes.

There is a distinction in terminology used in Pr that's important.  In Premiere Pro, you render previews in the timeline to make real-time playback smoother while you edit.  You export a timeline to get a finished video file that can be delivered.

The hardware-accelerated Mercury Playback Engine available with certain nVidia graphics cards often makes rendering previews unnecessary.  However, a dynamically-linked AE comp is an exception, since it relies on the unaccelerated background AE process to send the comp frames to Pr.  So you'll almost always have to render previews for a timeline where an AE comp is used.

When you export the timeline, Pr will go back and use the source frames of all your video assets, including the AE comps, and not use the already-rendered preview files.  That means the AE comp will have to be re-rendered for export.  This is usually a good thing, since the preview files are generally reduced in quality compared to the original clips.  You can override Pr's behavior and force it to use the rendered preview files by checking the Use Preview Files box in the Export Settings dialog.

-Jeff