6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2013 2:30 AM by HTS transcription service

InDesign CS5 to html conversion

BG Level 1

Greetings All:

I have primarily been a web designer but was recently used to create a hard copy catalog using InDesign CS5.  After submitting to the print house with marvellous results it was a snap to print as a pdf and put it up on the website.  Now the client wants each of those individual pages converted to html.  Unfortunately, my attempt to export to html from InDesign produced a single html page from the 70 pages and everything just seemed to be spewed out with no styling whatsoever.  Tables weren't formatted, background pictures weren't set in the background. You can see the catalog as it is supposed to look at http://jeffreymachine.com/catalog/Catalog_low.pdf.  To get something up temporarily I was able to print from pdf to jpg and used each of those jpg's as individual pages set within his html template, but of course that is totally not search engine friendly.  What is the best, fastest, easiest, cheapest way to make the html appear as identical as the pdf has achieved?  TIA

Bob Green

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 to html conversion
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Going from ID to HTML is a big chore, as you've seen. You need to open the stuff you get in an HTML editor like Dreamweaver and make the CSS for styling and tweak the code. EVERYTHING in ID should have some sort of style tag for best results, and not everything you've done for print/PDF is necessarily appropriate for HTML (might be, but might not). I would guess you need, also, to export page ranges or individual pages in your case.

Bob may drop in with some real advice -- he does web stuff and I don't -- but the bottom line is that ID is not yet a web authoring tool and you need to do a lot of work to get your HTML to look the way you want.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 to html conversion
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Peter is correct, if you're going to be going from ID to HTML at some point you need to plan for that BEFORE you start. The first thing I would advise is an upgrade to CS5.5 which allows you to map your styles to HTML tags. This creates far cleaner code without all the messy classes.

Then you can export to HTML and choose only the selection to get your individual pages. The other possibility, depending upon the document is to export to epub and use the HTML from there. If every page has an h1 type of text on it, you can use that for chapter breaks that will act as page breaks.

Bob

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 to html conversion
              BG Level 1

Hi Peter:

Sorry for my delay in response.  Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.  I had hoped for a quick easy solution, but it is what it is.  Going back to school on my css skills.  Thanks again.

Bob Green

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 to html conversion
                BG Level 1

Hi Bob:

As I just responded to Peter, I also apologize to you for not getting back sooner with a response.  Whereas I had hoped for a quick solution this will require a page by page rebuild into html using css.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Bob Green

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 to html conversion
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No need to respond to both of us. Your responses are going to the web even if you do so by email.

Bob

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5 to html conversion
                    HTS transcription service

Hi, its very easy to get going with the export to html from InDesign. Adobe itself provides many facilitis named "tagged text" to get grafic, images, tables and other features intact with your exported data. For more information please go through the link as follows http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/taggedtext/indesign_cs5_taggedtext.pdf.

Regards,

Hi-Tech Transcription Services, India