9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 6:08 PM by concretenz

large PDFs from Indesign CS5 under Lion

concretenz Level 1

Has anyone noctived the incredibly large PDFs exported from Indesign CS5 under OS X 10.7 Lion?...

When OS X 10. Snow Leopard all was great, though now I have noticed HUGE differences!!??

crazy. example Indesign exported to pdf 106mb

Print to file, then Distiller: 32mb

BIG DIFFERENCE

anyone else?

thanks

• 1. Re: large PDFs from Indesign CS5 under Lion
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Distilling often gives smaller files, this isn't a useful comparison. What are the size differences between OSX versions?

Give us an example of a simple document where you see this problem.

Or if not, then it's related to your complex document and you'll need to describe it in a complicated way.

• 2. Re: large PDFs from Indesign CS5 under Lion
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you comparing the SAME file using the SAME settings in both versions of the OS?

• 3. Re: large PDFs from Indesign CS5 under Lion
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a computer on Lion and another on Snow Leopard. Exporting from InDesign CS5.5, I notice no significant differences in PDF sizes.

Are you sure that all the settings in PDF export are exactly the same?

• 4. Re: large PDFs from Indesign CS5 under Lion
                concretenz Level 1

Hi the difference is

Export PDF from Indesign CS5 = 105mb

Print to File, the create PDF in DIstiller = 43mb

Using exact same Indesign file

Using exact same joboptions settings: PDF/X1a:2003 for both Indesign pdf export and distiller.

This is the same setting I have used for the last 3 years, so have used it many many times in Leopard, Snow Leopard and now Lion, except Lion is making huge pdfs... even simple pdf's are large.

I do thousands of PDF's I consider myself to know what I am talking about here.

I have tested and tried... and what was once a small pdf is larger than it should be. And would not be posting if I have not noticed how large they are. Except yesterday I made a PDF that was what I would consider just stupid. I have tried all settings, so I can only put it down to Lion upgrade.

Please NOTE I am using Adobe Indesign CS5, not CS5.5

thanks

• 5. Re: large PDFs from Indesign CS5 under Lion
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

You are not making sense.

Your complaint is about the differences between Snow Leopard and Lion.

Your statistics are about the differences between Export to PDF and Acrobat Distiller.

Pick one, please.

• 6. Re: large PDFs from Indesign CS5 under Lion
                    concretenz Level 1

Ok lets forget the Distiller part of this story, sorry.

My issue is that under Lion PDF's are WAY larger than in previous OS X (Snow Leopard etc)

I don't have any Mac on Snow Leopard to now show a comparison only previous PDF's made before Lion was installed and they are signifcantly smaller.

I just tested I think it is new documents made in Indesign CS5 in Lion.

Testing a indd file previously made in Snow Leopard I exported a PDF it produced the same size PDF as in Snow Leopard, so now I am confused slightly hoping I am wrong. Then I exported that same .indd as a .idml opened and saved as .indd then exported as a PDF it is 150kb larger... small difference yes, though  ot enough to worry about, so I tried with previous larger files... only to have them create the satisfactory sized pdf.

Ok, I am wondering if newly created documents are the issue?...

Moving on I found then I found this..  http://www.creativepro.com/article/drop-20-pounds-indesign

I have just done a space audit most of the file is the images, my only conclusion is that the images are containing meta data that is hogging?...

• 7. Re: large PDFs from Indesign CS5 under Lion
                      concretenz Level 1

also back on the Indesign PDF export vs print to file then Distiller ... the differences are huge

Not to confuse just a "hey check this out"

screenshot_compare.jpg

• 8. Re: large PDFs from Indesign CS5 under Lion
                        Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That means nothing without knowing what settings you used in Export PDF. Did you customize a PDF preset like Smallest File Size to downsample images even more, reduce image quality by choosing different JPEG quality?

Distiller will almost always create smaller files because they don't include important stuff like structure (so a PDF can be repurposed), metadata, color management profiles, etc.

If you want to go to all the trouble of Distilling to make the PDFs a little smaller, go for it, but it's a labor intensive process. And does the difference in file size really matter? And don't try to reuse those PDF in any meaningful way.

• 9. Re: large PDFs from Indesign CS5 under Lion
                          concretenz Level 1

I have posted my settings as above: Using exact same joboptions settings: [PDF/X-1a:2003] no changes to preset... as is.

I have also tried the smallest size present too it was still large... weighting in at 75mb

I can get a 4mb via distiller better quality using distiller.

The trouble difference by the way of labour intensiveness is about 15 more seconds.

I prefer to export pdf from Indesign as I can keep all my images as RGB, then if the advert is required for a Newspaper or a particular publication I can export using the required profile, thus giving the correct ink weights. a bit more work in print to file then Distiller though have managed to work around that now.

Does the size matter.... mmmm not really. Though the difference between them is noticable. 105mb vs 35mb... 70mb difference.

thanks again.