10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 9:10 AM by John T Smith

Loss of quality when burning to DVD

Paul Dorotich

I am currently working in CS5.5 on a project that consists of approximately 20 clips with a total duration of 2 hours or about 6GB of material. When I play the mpg clips individually on my PC the quality is very good. However, when I combine the clips and link to Encore to produce the DVD, I get a severe degredation of the image quality upon playback. I have tried the disc on my blu-ray player and 46" TV and the image appears interlaced (especially when people in the shot are in motion or making gestures). I was expecting some pixilating but not the motion blur and interlacing. When I play the DVD on my computer, the image quality is also poor, especially by comparison to the individual clips. I am at a loss how to resolve this and did not think I would loose that much quality going from 6GB of footage down to 4.7GB on the disc. This is especially frustrating since I did a similar project 2 years ago on Premier Elements 7 and the DVD's looked fine. Can anyone suggest a fix?

Here are the properties of one of the mpg files I am using:

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 479.0 MB

Image Size: 720 x 480

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:09:44:00

Average Data Rate: 839 KB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.2121

• 1. Re: Loss of quality when burning to DVD
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Average Data Rate: 839 KB / second

Your average ("target") datarate should be in the 5 + Mbps range. (Well, not with 2 hours of material, but what you list is below the minimum Encore will use.) I don't know how this file even looks good on your computer.

Is Encore re-transcoding? Also make sure you are using the MPEG2-DVD preset, not the plain MPEG2 preset.

You don't say: what are your fields? What source format etc?

• 2. Re: Loss of quality when burning to DVD
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the source of your files, and why are you editing MPG files?

MPG is highly compressed, and when you go to make a DVD the files are compressed again... losing quality

• 3. Re: Loss of quality when burning to DVD
              Paul Dorotich Level 1

John, I saw a reply you posted in July to a similar question on the

Premiere Elements forrum, which is good because I think I will have some

extra work to do on this project.

The MPG files originally came from material I originally edited in

Premiere Elements on a MacBook Pro. The source material was AVI files from

a miniDV camcorder. I shot multiple cameras on several nights of a

theatrical production. With the volume of footage and a lack of computing

horse-power, I decided to make shorter segments based on the scenes within

the play. I know this was far from an optimal work-flow (mea culpa) but

that is the reality I face. So now I am looking for the best way forward.

Short of re-editing the whole thing (now that I have CS5.5 on a PC), which

is out of the question, it sounds like my best option is to go back to the

Mac and export the individual scenes as something other than MPG's. I

assume that in Premiere Elements 9, I need to select "Share with

Computer", then NTSC-Widescreen, and then go to the Advanced menu. Should

I then ramp the quality up to maximum? Are there other settings I need to

adjust to maximize the output quality?

At this point, I do not care about the size of the output files, nor do I

care if each 10 minute scene requires all night to render. I just would

like to get better quality clips that I can then use in CS5.5 on my PC to

assemble the full show, added chapter titles, and then print to DVD using

Encore. Any advice you can offer would be most welcome.

• 4. Re: Loss of quality when burning to DVD
                Paul Dorotich Level 1

Stan, thanks for your reply. I am not sure the clips look really good on

my computer, but they are definitely superior to the movie on the DVD. At

any rate, I suspect Encore must be re-transcoding, although I am not sure

how to determine or prevent that.

Nevertheless, as I mentioned in my reply to John, I think I need to go

back to an earlier step in this project and produce better source files.

If you are familiar with output options from Elements 9, then any

suggestions you can give would undoubtedly be of use.

• 5. Re: Loss of quality when burning to DVD

Going back to the original miniDV tape quality is always best for editing

DV AVI is about 13 Gig per hour... that same hour when encoded to MPG will be 3-4 Gig... and that size reduction is accomplished by throwing away a LOT of the original information

For simple playback, that is OK since the playback software knows how to deal with MPG files for display

Trying to edit that compressed MPG is not going to work nearly as well... especially when you go through the compression process again to create a DVD

I have read that some software (NOT Premiere, and I don't have a program name handy) will do "smart rendering" so any file being edited that is already DVD compliant, and does not have an effect applied, will be passed through the program to create a new file that is a simply copy... so no more quality is lost by a 2nd rendering

• 6. Re: Loss of quality when burning to DVD

The MPG files originally came from material I originally edited in

Premiere Elements on a MacBook Pro. The source material was AVI files from

a miniDV camcorder.

....it sounds like my best option is to go back to the Mac and export the individual scenes as something other than MPG's.

Absolutely, well, probably.

I understand you to be saying that the Premiere elements project is using the original miniDV captures, not mpg material, correct?

If you do not need to do any more editing, you may have the option of exporting your final mpeg files from Premiere Elements, anyone know? You want a demuxed file (m2v, wav) at a datarate that will fill up your DVD after you add menus. If your scenes are complete, but you just need to put them together to view as a continuous movie, you may be able to export each, then use a playlist in Encore. You don't need to bring them into Premiere, unless you need to add transitions, or shorten, or whatever. Can you still make such changes in Premiere Elements?

If you have more editing to do, export from Premiere Elements as something as lossless as possible and import that to Premiere.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Loss of quality when burning to DVD
                      Paul Dorotich Level 1

Stan, you are correct that I am using the original captures from the

miniDV's in my Premiere Elements projects. I have about 18 projects, one

for each scene in the stage production. I need to assemble them into a

final project so that I have a continuous 2 hour movie to which I can add

the DVD menu for scene selection. My hope now is to export the individual

scenes from Elements and re-assemble those clips into the final movie in

Premiere Pro.

However, I am not sure how to proceed in order to achieve a near-lossless

export. The support material I have read does not cover this level of

detail and I am looking for suggestions on accomplishing this task.

Perhaps I should move this thread to the Elements forum, where it now

seems to belong.

• 8. Re: Loss of quality when burning to DVD

Perhaps I should move this thread to the Elements forum, where it now

seems to belong.

If John or Bill doesn't bring you an answer here this morning, that's what I would do.

I have about 18 projects, one for each scene in the stage production. I need to assemble them into a

final project so that I have a continuous 2 hour movie to which I can add

the DVD menu for scene selection.

Do you need a continuous movie? Some users, even with a project in Premiere, prefer to export the "chapters" as separate movies. These separate movies are added to Encore, and made "continuous" by using a playlist.

• 9. Re: Loss of quality when burning to DVD
                          Paul Dorotich Level 1

First a "Thank You" to those who responded to my dilemma. In the end, I went back to my Mac Elements project and output the individual scenes as QuickTime MOV files (see example below for properties). I then stiched them together in PrPro on my PC and added chapter markers, before sending it to Encore for authoring. In the end, the quality was quite acceptable and I could fit it onto a single DVD for distribution.

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 1.4GB

Image Size: 720 x 480

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:06:28:25

Average Data Rate: 3.6 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.2121

• 10. Re: Loss of quality when burning to DVD

I don't use/have a Mac, so not 100% sure about this... but... as far as I know, your MOV file on a Mac is the same internally as the DV AVI files I work with when I digitize a tape via Pinnacle Dv500 card (never had a DV tape camera, only an 8mm Analog Sony)

So, your MOV files are really the same as an AVI file on a PC, with the exception of the file "wrapper" being MOV instead of AVI