5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 7:45 AM by Peter Spier

CS5 Cross-Reference problem

DreyG

Hi,

Is anyone working with Cross-Reference CS5 in a Book?

I can not see my page number when I have the cross-reference in my book! A thin square appears when I select "page number" in the pallate cross-reference. I tried with several other documents and everything is ok.

Is this a conflict with the book? Help me please!

Cross_reference_problem copy.png

• 1. Re: CS5 Cross-Reference problem
          peter minneapolis Level 4

DreyG wrote:

Hi,

Is anyone working with Cross-Reference CS5 in a Book?

I can not see my page number when I have the cross-reference in my book! A thin square appears when I select "page number" in the pallate cross-reference. I tried with several other documents and everything is ok.

Is this a conflict with the book? Help me please!

Cross_reference_problem copy.png

Does the cross-reference format definition in that file contain a page-number <pageNum

placeholder? The format definitions in the other files probably do. If this is the case, you can find useful info with a Google search for "indesign cross-reference format definition tutorial pagenum" and similar terms without quotes.

It's possible to load (import) cross-reference definitions (as well as many other kinds of named InDesign items) from one file to another, as well as from one file to selected book files or all book files. In books, the technique is called "Synchronize." Search Google for "indesign book synchronize," and "indesign load import styles formats," and similar terms without quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: CS5 Cross-Reference problem
            DreyG Level 1

The Cross-reference definition is good and my book is all synchronize.

I have a reflective object plugin, so maybe it can cause the problem!

Thanks,

Drey

• 3. Re: CS5 Cross-Reference problem
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you make a destination for the cross-ref before creating the reference?

• 4. Re: CS5 Cross-Reference problem
                DreyG Level 1

Hi Peter,

For some reason, my documents were corrupted.

I rebuilt the documents with "Move page" and restores my book! Now almost everything works! The only problem is that when I make the cross-reference link and save all my documents and my book, this command breaks some link. I update and it does not repair. I did not move the page and I did not touch anything. Could it be possible that I can not save my documents individually but only the book!

• 5. Re: CS5 Cross-Reference problem
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Cross-references from one document to another are notoriously fragile and subject to curruption or loss.