4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 7:33 PM by Lee Faulkner

AE CS5.5 : Per Pixel Dissolve

Lee Faulkner Level 1

Hi

I have someone who wants to cross-dissolve between two 1920 x 1080p video clips ... one pixel at a time in sequence : left to right, top to bottom.

Sigh...

Does anyone have an idea of where to start .... plug in .... script .... ??

Thanks in advance

Best

Lee

• 1. Re: AE CS5.5 : Per Pixel Dissolve
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Card Dance would be my first choice. Second choice would be gradient wipe. The trick is creating the gradient.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AE CS5.5 : Per Pixel Dissolve
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

In case you needed a second opinion: I was just about to suggest the same two things that Rick did.

• 3. Re: AE CS5.5 : Per Pixel Dissolve
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              I have someone who wants to cross-dissolve between two 1920 x 1080p video clips ... one pixel at a time in sequence : left to right, top to bottom.

I hope you don't mean that all too literally.... That's 2 million pixels/ frames and and awful lot of time to wait.... I'm not sure I would bother with eitehr solution that the others proposed. It seems to mee that a simple linear wipe, quantized using the Mosaic effect and/or a siumilar linear b/w ramp applied as a luma matte is the easiest way to do it. Gradient wipes always cause fuzzy edges somewhere and Card Wipe/ Card Dance may get awfully slow with many small tiles.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AE CS5.5 : Per Pixel Dissolve
                Lee Faulkner Level 1

Yes it was a literal request ... and they wanted it to happen over 3 hours. Conceptual Art. Also literally.

Thanks all for the hints though. Couldn't get it with the Card Dance effect ... any simple tutorials on that? I was a bit baffled.

In the end I made a Text Layer, found a nice square "- "  glyph set the font size to 1 pixel and the  character and line spacing to 1 pixel and "Typed" (actually I used 2 weights to hold the keys down) a paragraph which covered the screen.

Then I set it it as a Track Matte

Then I range  animated the opoacity of the text over the base layer... adjusted the smoothness and bam a short line of pixels dissolving one image to another.

It was then easy to control the speed, the "time of the disolve" and of course when the Artist said "can I see it happen randomly" it was one click!

Pretty boring to watch though...

Thanks again

Lee