• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to force WebHelp to open in a new tab?

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2011 Sep 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 9.0 and creating WebHelp.

The WebHelp that I create is opened from a link in a browser. When the user clicks the link, the WebHelp opens. Simple.

What I'd like to do is have the WebHelp open in a new tab.I know that users can force this to happen by using Ctrl+click or by changing a setting in their browsers. But I would like have the Help always open in a new page -- without any additional user input (or choice).

What I'm thinking of would be similar to the html command target="blank".

Is this possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The only way I can fathom that happening is by modifying the link used to open the WebHelp. Either that or you would create an intermediate page you would link to that has JavaScript that opens the WebHelp in a new Window. (Note that whether a new window or tab opens is often a browser preference by the user)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good points. I guess what I'm asking is, How would I modify the link that opens WebHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

This will depend entirely on where the link is. For example, is it a shortcut on each user's desktop? Is it a web page? If it's a web page, do you have control over the modifications to it? If not, you need to advise whomever maintains the page that you want the link to open in a new window. If you are the one in control of it, you use whatever software you use to make edits and point the link to a new window.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the link is on a web page. And yes, I can ask the person who maintains the web page to make any modification to the link that I may need. The problem is, they (and I) don't know how to make the link open in a new tab (or window).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I'm utterly confused. You answered the question yourself in your initial post. You said:

What I'm thinking of would be similar to the html command target="blank".

I'm assuming that the page where the link resides is an HTML page. So you ensure that the "target="blank" is part of the link. Exactly how that happens will likely depend on whatever software is being used to edit the page.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not trying to be deliberately confusing or obtuse...

I thought the target="blank" parameter would have worked, too. But my web page developer tells me that the parameter "works only if we are using html code."

We're creating the page using SharePoint. I would have thought that SharePoint uses "standard" html languuage in its web links. Maybe not?

An added layer of confusion comes from the fact that our web page developer does not speak English as his first language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Hmmm, I know what SharePoint *IS*, but I'm lost on advising how it works. I thought it was just a means of storing information you wished to allow access to by others. From what you have described, I'm guessing it may have its own interface for setting up pages. And if that's the case, I'll have to defer to someone else that may be watching this thread that actually has a bit of experience using SharePoint.

I did a brief Google search and perhaps the links below will help.

Click here

Or click here

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick: Thanks for the links. Very good information. I've shared both with my web page developer, and I'll let you know how successful he is with that information. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

William: Thanks for the insights; and yes, I agree. But let me change your reply just a little, "What good would a scripting language developer be where you if he can't create links that open in a new browser window?" I think that describes the problem a little more accurately.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please note that the syntax is target="_blank". If you are creating a page in SharePoint, you are using ASP.NET. This is just a backend that generates HTML. You developer should be able to create a hyperlink that opens a new page. What good would a scripting language be where you can't create links that open in a new browser window

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp