3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 3:37 AM by Paul.Triffitt

Which driver to use to print to a dot matrix printer?

andrewbyczko Level 1

All-

Hi, we are using Adobe Output Designer 5.7 to create invoice templates.  We use a custom application that uses Adobe Output Central Server (5.6) to create invoices and print them to a network printer.  We are about to do a new release in Chile, which requires a dot matrix printer be used for printing due to gov't regulations.  Does anyone know what kind of print driver could be used to effectively print to a dot matrix printer?  It seems like all the drivers we have used don't work.

Additionally, we also tried using the .pdf driver in conjunction with the Web Output Pak, but unfortunately that result is just as bad.  Does anyone know of a workaround to get Pdf's to work with a dot matrix printer?  By googling, I found that we could try copying the .pdf output and pasting into Word, but I haven't tested this yet and it makes for a cumbersome process.

Thanks,

Andrew

• 1. Re: Which driver to use to print to a dot matrix printer?
          Paul.Triffitt

Hi Andrew,

Unless you can convert the PDF to a text file, and print that, I doubt there is any way to send PDFs to a Dot Matix printer.

If you're on Windows then one way is to use the 'windows' driver option in your template to generate the output directory for the target printer - this allows non-supported printers to be used with Output Server,

Regards,

Paul

• 2. Re: Which driver to use to print to a dot matrix printer?
            andrewbyczko Level 1

Hi Paul,

I appreciate your response. 

As far as your response about the 'windows' driver option - I assume this would be processed by Adobe Central Output Server (not the ***).  If that's the case, my issue is that the printer is not a network printer.  Is it still possible to print to this printer using this method?  The way we have our app setup is that it has to be a network printer.  I'm not sure if this is a limitation on our custom apps side or Adobe's side.

Can you give me an example of what the tag in the data file would look like.  For example, this is what we use today:

^job usdtenda -***5 -afpe:/inetpub/wwwroot/ieweb/forms/print/ -afxon -rfold -Z
            pusdlg821\pusdlg821

Usdtenda = form name

Pusdlg821 = printer name

From my understanding, the printer parameter has to be in an "SMB printing" format
            server\printer - is that correct?

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

• 3. Re: Which driver to use to print to a dot matrix printer?
              Paul.Triffitt Level 1

Andrew,

Not sure what the ***'s mean ..., but as long as from Windows on the Adobe

server (assuming you are running Adobe on Windows) you can reach that

printer, then Central will be able to reach it too.

You would use -aspwindows to select the default windows print driver when

Central is printing, the rest of your job line should then be unchanged as

far as I remember.  This will allow you to print to the dot matrix printer,

but will probably not allow you to do the other things with PDF output from

the same template (IFD),

Paul