5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 5:22 PM by P_Forrest

Poor quality when exporting still frames from Premiere to Photoshop

espaxefan

Hello again,

I'm trying to export a quality still image from an AVCHD video sequence I shot recently. The video properties:

Image Size: 1440 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32

Frame Rate: 29.97

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.3333

I've simply used the scrub bar to locate an appropriate frame and then used the "Export Frame" button to export the file.  Problem is, when I open the exported file ( a tiff) in Photoshop, the quality of the still image is poor. I've experimented with different file types and pixel aspect ratios to no avail. No matter how good the image might look in Premiere, I can't replicate it in Photoshop. The image is just too grainy and blurry to suit my use.

Am I missing an important step here? Or is this just the nature of the beast when exporting still frames? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Poor quality when exporting still frames from Premiere to Photoshop
          Jim_Simon Level 8

There are no other steps.  The quality is normally identical.

Are you sure you don't have the Phoshop viewer set to less than 100%?

• 2. Re: Poor quality when exporting still frames from Premiere to Photoshop
            P_Forrest Level 1

Funny, I have a similar problem with the exact same video format and dimensions.   My image becomes a bit skewed.

Is this a square vs. rectangular pixels issue?

Petey

Message was edited by: P_Forrest

Ok, I just rechecked my similar issue with "Export Frame."

Actually,  the photo is skewed when I view it in Windows Paint or other Windows viewers.    However, when I bring it into Photoshop, I get the message "Pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purposes only. Turn it off for maximum image quality."   I don't know where that setting is, but the image now displays correctly as the view of my screen shot in project viewer.    I swear that wasn't doing that before.   Strange.   Anyway, can someone please tell me what that message means and why MS Paint or other viewers are skewing my image?   Thanks.

Petey

• 3. Re: Poor quality when exporting still frames from Premiere to Photoshop
              espaxefan Level 1

Jim,

You were right about the steps. This was a case of mistaken expectations.  I took a closer look at the video file in Premiere and saw the same thing that was showing in photoshop. Specifically, the output monitor was set to "fit" the video. Now if you adjust the view to 100 %, you see the same "pixellation" that I was seeing in photoshop. This is just the natural look of the AVCHD video up close. On a good note, however, my work supervisor thinks the exported still frame might be usuable.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Poor quality when exporting still frames from Premiere to Photoshop
                espaxefan Level 1

Petey,

I was going through the same process you were. My images were coming into Photoshop with skewed aspect ratios at first, but I was able to fix them once I turned off the "Pixel aspect ratio correction". That setting can be checked on or off under the View drop-down menu and you can also experiment with different pixel aspect ratios. As for the meaning of the message:

"By default, nonsquare pixel documents open with Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction enabled. This setting scales the image so it appears as it would on the nonsquare-pixel output device (usually a video monitor)."

Definitely sounds like a square vs. rectangular pixel issue you're dealing with.

• 5. Re: Poor quality when exporting still frames from Premiere to Photoshop
                  P_Forrest Level 1

Actually, it's the opposite with me.  Keeping that view setting on fixes my

image from being distorted/skewed and I like it.   When I go to export the image in Photoshop, the image becomes skewed again.

Is there anyway to export an image with those settings on?   The only way I've found is to do a PrintScreen of the image in Photoshop and then to paste it into a new Photoshop document and crop away the rest of the screen.

Petey