5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 8:22 AM by Do More

Re-Merge Bogus Scene Groups Created by Auto-Analyzer

Do More

Posted originally at Photoshop Elements forum because I didn't see a separate forum for the Organizer. Someone there suggested I repost here.

So I've now read the postings about disabling the automatic running of the deadly Auto-Analyzer feature--48 hours too late. I'm hoping against hope that Adobe now has some fix to re-merge the bogus scene groups created by this "feature" without re-importing the master clips silently assaulted throughout my 80 hour video library. I've spent days tagging clips only to notice this evening that a growing number had been carved up into meaningless "scenes". The child scenes seem to carry the tags and date attributes of the master clip at the time of the "analysis", but for clips not yet fully tagged, care must be taken to fully expand the groups before tagging, and the proliferation of meaningless groups with hanging one second "scenes" is not the standard I'd hoped to maintain in this catalog.

Please, someone tell me it is now possible to undo the mess of Scene Groups created by Auto-Analyzer without reimporting and retagging clips.

Also, although I've now disabled background running of Auto-Analyser, how do I remove it from the menus and, goodness gracious, from any keyboard shortcut that might inadvertantly run it? I want it to go away forever and never come back.

Thanks!

-Whit

• 1. Re: Re-Merge Bogus Scene Groups Created by Auto-Analyzer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say which version of the Organizer you're using (version 8 is notoriously troublesome) but, if you've turned off the Auto-Analyzer under Edit/Preferences, it's off. (Also, if you're capturing video in Premiere Elements, you may also want to ensure that it's turned off on the Capture screen.)

The good news is that the Auto Analyzer has done no permanent damage to your video. Each one of those clips is merely a trimmed version of your video. So you should be able to just open any of those clips in your Premiere Elements project and un-trim it in the Preview window to reclaim your longer clip.

• 2. Re: Re-Merge Bogus Scene Groups Created by Auto-Analyzer
            Do More Level 1

Thanks, Steve.

Should have mentioned that I'm using V9.

I get that there's no actual data loss at the clip level, but I'm hoping to make extensive use of the catalog and would prefer that it be clean from the get go. It still seems odd to me that a feature could make unreviewed changes to your catalog with no way to back them out cleanly. Yikes.

-Whit

• 3. Re: Re-Merge Bogus Scene Groups Created by Auto-Analyzer

As I've said, you can "untrim" any of the scenes and you will get back your original, full-length clip. That's pretty "clean", isn't it?

• 4. Re: Re-Merge Bogus Scene Groups Created by Auto-Analyzer
                Do More Level 1

Thanks, Steve. It is clean in the sense that there is no data loss and that when editing in Premier I can take the extra step of untrimming such clips. Even if working in Premier, I still think it would be much cleaner if one could simply undo all of this from the Organizer and not have to worry about it when creating a new project. My main issue is that I'm really trying to use the Organizer itself as a bit of a friendly front-end to enable my family to peruse a decades-long video library, and all these meangingless scene groups would have really confused my novice users.

I'm good now. Had not gotten too far in tagging so I set the defaults to not run Auto-Analyzer and started over. Was considerably faster this go-around because I used DVMP Pro to change the modified date of each clip to reflect the timecode value for the first frame -- so this time everything but the really old analog 8 mm stuff came in with clean, detailed dates.

Thanks again for your help, Steve.

-Whit

• 5. Re: Re-Merge Bogus Scene Groups Created by Auto-Analyzer

Glad things are back on track, Whit.