19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 6:51 AM by jgillies

New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry

rbsiv

Trying to make a simple static text title - white text on black - created in Premiere CS5 itself. Tried a variety of project/sequence presets and fonts, but on all of them the text is blurred/frayed when inserted into the timeline and/or exported. Strangely, it looks perfectly crisp when editing the title or when manually advancing the sequence by dragging the pointer above the timeline (when the mouse is released though, it immediately reverts). My test titles have all been created in the same project, set at the same resolution, etc.

A search showed several other people with this problem, but no solutions... any thoughts?

• 1. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
          Harm Millaard Level 7

OE = Operator error.

due to using wrong video drivers, using the program monitor to judge quality, wrong system setup, or a whole range of other OE's.

How do they look on a properly calibrated monitor or on a DVD when played on a regular settop box and TV? Could it be related to your .ASF problems?

• 2. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
            rbsiv Level 1

Whatever Harm, I'm aware it's probably OE as you call it - just looking for help troubleshooting. Though I'm not a Premiere guru by any stretch, I have used it and PE for various tasks throughout the years. This includes making simple text titles in the application itself, which previously had been crisp and clear when viewed in various video player apps. So yes, there is a setting or something amiss.

• 3. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
              Harm Millaard Level 7

As Colin said in your other thread, have you set the playback resolution to full? Do you have the latest video drivers installed? What is your source material? Does the same happen with material from a regular video camera? Or when the title is overlaid over a still? We need more details to come up with suggestions.

Details like your system setup, your source material, your sequence settings, etc. Anything that may be specific to your situation but that is not encountered by most people.

• 4. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                Dazed and Comfuzed

I have the same problem, have you found a solution yet.  

• 5. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                  jgillies

I have the same issue (CS5.5). I have checked my  aspect ratios, frame sizes, tried doubling the title sequence sizes -- every suggestion I could find on the web. There are examples of this online as to what it looks like.

There is no way (that I can see) like Photoshop to set the appearance of the text (Sharp, crisp, etc.) It is really quite a problem and I am not sure what to do at this point.

Help would be appreciated. I am sure I am missing a setting somewhere. OE? Maybe. Lack of control over text? Maybe.

• 6. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us the full specs. of you Sequence, and exactly where you are seeing the problem? More detail is better.

It is likely that the solution will come from those specs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                      jgillies Level 1

For the blur -- it looks like softened text as opposed to sharp text. I am viewing this on a LaCie 526. I see this problem upon creation of the titles, rendering, export, MOV playback and DVD playback.

I have a number of  JPEG photos arranged in a pan/scan effect that render perfectly.

The titles are run over black, some are intro with dissolve into motion scale from 75% to 100% (reverse for outro).

Sequence Specs

Vid: 720x480 (1.2121), 29.97 fps, Lower

Aud: 32000 Hz, Stereo

For the output I render it is identical, save for maximum render quality, frame blending.

The title still specs (created in the title tool):

Title Type: Still

Data Size: 5 KB

Title Size: 720 x 480

Pixel Depth: 32

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.2121

I have one black colour matte (oversized) that I run in behind everything as there is a PIP of a candle in the lower left corner of the video:

File Path: Color Matte

Type: Color Matte

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.2121

The PIP corner video is the only anomaly that I can see as it is a different aspect ratio and frame rate (although it is much smaller on the stage) -- should i interpret that as 29.97 FPS?

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 25.9 MB

Image Size: 640 x 360

Frame Rate: 30.00

Total Duration: 00:00:28:00

Average Data Rate: 946 KB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

QuickTime Details:

Movie contains 1 video track(s), 0 audio track(s) and 0 timecode track(s).

Video:

There are 840 frames with a duration of 1/30th.

Video track 1:

Duration is 0:09:20:00

Average frame rate is 30.00 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:

Frame Size = 640 x 360

Compressor = Photo - JPEG

Quality = Most (5.00)

Thank you,

Jeremy

• 9. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                        jgillies Level 1

Thank you for that link, some great b/g info and suggestions to try.

• 10. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                          jgillies Level 1

Alas... to no avail. I tried creating a new timeline in higher res, also eporting to mp4... same thing -- almost exactly. I like the keyline idea suggested, but it is white text on black bg.

• 11. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                            Powered by Design Level 4

Screen shots would be helpfull.

Also try a sequence with no footage.

Just use a Matte and text so you know its not video related.

Write what font you used and the size in the screen capture and we can try it and see if we get different results.

GLenn

• 12. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                              jgillies Level 1

I cannot post the originals as it is a private memorial presentation (test text below), My next step is to try the  suggestion of sequence with no footage (you were reading my mind :). The other thing I am going to try is to go up to 1080 master with everything and then output to a smaller aspect file to see what that does.

I know the typeface is not ideal (Adobe Caslon Pro Semi Bold at about 60pt and 40pt) -- and it is white / grey on black.

Thanks again,

Jer

SS in Premiere

test-text.jpg

SS from output

Main title:

memtitle-sample.jpg

Individual Title:

title-render.jpg

• 13. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                                jgillies Level 1

One quick mod I just did was to create the test at 1920/1080p as square pixels for the text and black matte. NIGHT AND DAY difference (below). Yes there is still some softening, but it is a much better rendering.

sqpix_version.jpg

• 14. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                                  jgillies Level 1

Update

I remade the whole thing as per specs above (1920x1080p/square pixel).

Export was fantasic (I kept it the same as the sequence since I am outputing to DVD as primary, web secondary -- if ever).  No issues that I can see so far inplaying the whole thing in QT. Text is crisp, motion/scale is great, dissolves are fine.

Next test is to create a DVD from it.

• 15. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                                    jgillies Level 1

DVD burn worked well -- no issues on my LaCie screen. I will test it on an HDTV tonight.

• 16. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news! Thanks for reporting your success.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: New text titles (created in CS5) are blurry