13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2016 8:31 PM by thomasl34039388

How to disable snapping of a clip's end position

n0shadows

I'm a new PSE (v9) user, and trying very hard to avoid buyer's remorse... I've run into an incredibly frustrating problem that I'm hoping the folks on this forum can help me resolve.  What I want to do is fairly simple -- move a clip so that it's start position aligns with a beat marker.  So something that looks like this:

|Beat marker 1   |Beat marker 2

^^^^^^^^*^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*^^^^^^^^^^^^^

|--clip--|    

What I want to do is move the clip one frame (^) to the right to align its start position with a beat marker 1 (*).  So, I enable Snap, and start dragging the clip.  As expected, it's start position moves one frame to the right, snapping to beat marker 1 -- just what I want.  However, it's end position, instead of also moving one frame to the right as common sense might suggest, snaps to the position of beat marker 2.  This effectively performs a time scaling operation on the clip, which is absolutely NOT what I want to do.  This happens even if I disable Snap.  In this case, the start position does not snap to beat marker 1, but

This becomes even more problematic when I want to shift a series of adjacent clips all by some number of frames.  When I do this, some random clip in the middle of my selected set decides to snap its endpoint to some random beat marker, which is sometimes off screen, and I often don't discover this until hours later when I'm back in that section of the movie.  I just had one clip shift by a precisely defined duration of 00;03;30 to 00;14;17, throwing off the timing of the whole rest of the movie.

In general, I'm disatisfied with the lack of precise clip positioning within the timeline (I should be able to just edit some property that says "this clip starts here").  However, this particular problem makes the product almost unusable for what I'm trying to do (sync clips to music -- crazy, I know...).

Please let me know if you have any assistance to offer.  Thanks all.

• 1. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position
          n0shadows Level 1

Hmm... that post did not preserve the formatting of my little drawing.  Imagine it in a fixed-width font like Courier New, and you'll get a better sense for what I was trying to show.  The illustration should still work, though, it's just that the clip doesn't precisely align to the frame markers at the top -- hey, kind of like PSE itself... (I couldn't resist ).

• 2. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry but I'm not at all clear on what you're looking for, shadows. There are a number of ways to control and even disable snapping in Premiere Elements.

First, you DO want to use snapping, right? I think I'm clear on that. (You can turn snapping off, of course.)

But it sounds like you're frustrated because the end of your clip is snapping to one marker and you want the beginning of the clip to snap to a different marker. Is that right? If so, it's not a problem with Premiere Elements. Every program that I know of would do exactly the same thing. That's the nature of snapping.

But you do have options:

1) Temporarily turn off snapping so that you can precisely position your clip.

or

2) Temporarily trim the clip so that it locks to one marker, then extend it to its normal size.

But there IS solution. If we can figure out what you're trying to do.

• 3. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position
              n0shadows Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.  The problem is that I only want to change the position of a clip in the timeline, not the length of the clip itself (which, if it's a video clip, will also speed it up or slow it down).  I want to position the beginning of the clip to a beat marker, but leave it's length intact (i.e. move the end point by the same amount as I'm moving the start point).  I cannot find a way to do this, as the end point will also snap to a different beat marker further along in the track, adjusting the length of the clip.  Also, I realize that I left critical sentence half finished... my apologies.  Even if I turn off snapping, the end point still snaps to the nearest beat marker, even though the start point no longer snaps.  This certainly seems wrong.

Any futher assistance you (or anyone else) can provide would be very appreciated.  Thanks again.

• 4. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position

No, changing the length of a clip will not change its speed, shadows.

You can try zooming into your timeline very close and see if that helps you snap to your marker.

Otherwise, as I said, temporarily shortening your clip will allow you to snap its front end to a marker -- then you can re-lengthen the clip once you have it in place.

(Note that, if you are zoomed in far enough, you may also be seeing your video "snapping" to individual frames. This can't be helped. Video is made up of ~30 frames per second, and a frame of video can't sit between frames.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position
                  n0shadows Level 1

Thanks again Steve, and my apologies for not responding earlier... just coming back to this project today.

I think maybe I'm still not explaing my problem well.  The problem is not that I'm having trouble snaping -- snaping works.  Let me try another more simple example.  First, I'll describe what works... I have a timeline that is 1 min long.  I have a 1 minute long clip, but have set the out such that only the first 15 seconds of the clip will play, and I've positioned it at the very start of the timeline.  So, when I play the movie, my clip shows for 15 seconds, and then the screen is black.  Now, I want to move the clip such that it starts at 00;00;05;00, 5 seconds into the movie.  So, I drag the clip so that it's start position is at at 00;00;05;00.  When I play the movie now, the clip starts after 5 seconds, plays for 15 seconds, and is gone at 00;00;20;00.  Perfectly simple -- no problems there.

However, if start over and change just one thing, it all goes crazy.  So, starting again... I have a 1 min long timeline, 1 min long clip set to play for 15 sec, and positioned at the start of the timeline.  Now, the one thing I'll change is insert a beat marker near the end of the movie, say at 00;00;59;00.  I still want to do exactly what I did before, just move the clip to the right by 5 seconds to 00;00;05;00.  So, I start dragging the clip just as before, but this time, I can see that the end of clip snaps to the beat marker I placed at 00;00;59;00.  Now if I play the movie, instead of the clip playing for 15 seconds, it plays for 54 seconds.  If I double click on the clip, I find that my precicely chosen clip out has been moved to 00;00;54;00 from 00;00;15;00.  This is the problem.  I don't want the clip to play for 54 seconds; I want it to play for 15 seconds just as it did before.  I didn't want the end of the clip to snap to that beat marker.  It's important to also note that this same behavior happens regardless of the snap setting.

Now, you're right that I could go back and fix the clip by resetting the out position to be 00;00;15;00.  But you can imagine how this is can quickly become a very frustrating waste of time, especially if you have already put a lot of time in to precisely timing your clips in sync with music.

I've worked around this problem by just deleting all beat marks in my project.  I'll create them briefly when I need them, but then immediate remove them.  If I don't do this and I try to move a set of clips later on in my editing process, I'll find that the length of one or more them has been changed without my knowledge, requiring me to go back and spend time finding the right place in the music to reposition my clips.

I'm really hoping that I'm just daft and missing some setting somewhere.  I haven't seen anyone post about this problem before, and if there's no way around it, I can't imagine that I'm the only one feeling this pain.

Thanks, Steve.

• 6. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position

I'm sorry, but it does appear that you are the only one struggling with this, shadows. It doesn't seem to be a flaw in the program. You just seem to be struggling against it rather than letting this feature work for you.

So I'm not sure that there is anything more I can do for you. Sorry.

• 7. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position
                      Ralobaba

n0shadows, you are not alone. I am very, very sorry I shelled out for Premiere Elements 9 - the lack of  intuitive functionality is truly astounding. You cannot, as you rightly point out, simply select a clip and say, This starts at 00:2:10:45 - now just go and do it. You cannot even select a clip and nudge it with the arrow keys, macro-nudge it with arrow keys  plus shift, micro-nudge it with arrow keys plus control. Old CorelDraw can manage that - but not Adobe! You have to mouse-drag it - and this, we are led to believe, is a video editing tool from one of the top software houses in the US of A? A sick joke, perhaps?

On top of that, your editing workspace is confined to this skinny little area at the bottom of your screen (no choice here!), while the rest of it is taken up by whopping icons you use once in a project. Oh, and if you search Help for 'Turn snap off', you get "It's a snap to turn your photos into a slide show!", and then it's off to 'Community Help' (aka 'We can't be bothered - we've already got your money") where the blind are leading the blind.

Sounds like I'm doing the same as you - putting video and music clips together. We've been flogged a real donkey here, mate.

• 8. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position

It's always wise to test drive before you buy to ensure any product fits your particular workflow. Sorry it doesn't work for you, but I love this product and have for over 7 years.

But, as they say, different strokes for different folks!

• 9. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position
                          nealeh Level 5

n0shadows wrote:

This is the problem.  I don't want the clip to play for 54 seconds; I want it to play for 15 seconds just as it did before.

Sounds to me as though you are stretching your clip (does your cursor change to a double-headed arrow over a red '[' ?) rather than shifting the clip (shows as a normal cursor). Try grabbing the clip more centrally, not at an end.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position
                            nealeh Level 5

Ralobaba wrote:

You cannot even select a clip and nudge it with the arrow keys

PRE uses [Alt]+[Arrow].

Ralobaba wrote:

On top of that, your editing workspace is confined to this skinny little area at the bottom of your screen (no choice here!),

If you select Window> Show Docking Headers you can undock the workspace and resize it however you like. You can pretty much undock every screen element into floating windows.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position
                              SuperJujuAwesome

Not sure if this will help you... but I find a liberal use of the CTRL key always helps...  For instance, if you're dragging the in or out points of a clip and you want it to stay put on the timeline, hold CTRL before you drag the in and out and it'll stay where you want it.  If you drag a clip between tracks or within a track, start dragging, and then press and hold CTRL when you let go with the mouse.

And just because I feel like I should mention it, I recommend holding SHIFT when pressing delete on a clip, that'll prevent other clips from moving around.

Good luck!

• 12. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position
                                jimdix109

I hate to have had to find this workaround, but I might as well share it. I'm doing the same thing - syncing video to music, and having the same vexing problem. Out of desperation, what I've done is to assign a delay (found in audio effects under the Edit section) to the audio clip I'm having trouble aligning.  I then set the mix of the delay to 100% (wet). I can then adjust the output of the audio (adjusting the delay time) by milliseconds instead of being shakled to the 30fps. I think the smallest increment is 0.0004 seconds ( 4 ms ) which, though not perfect, is a lot better than 1/30th of a second.

• 13. Re: How to disable snapping of a clip's end position
                                  thomasl34039388 Level 1

Sounds like you just need to zoom in on the timeline.  I use it for music synchronization all the time. (playguitarsolos.com).  I don't use beat markers, or whatever.  I just zoom all the way in... to the 1 millisecond level,.... and line up my tracks.  Just zoom all the way in on the timeline and give it a try.  Hope this helps.  Tom

1 person found this helpful