• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need best practice to deploy similar content to multiple clients with specific skins/images

Sep 07, 2011 Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my name is Bernadette. When I was with a previous employer for several years I created WebHelp using RoboHelp 8. Then, the last two years I worked there I transitioned to MadCap Flare again creating WebHelp. I have been with a new employer two years now, using RoboHelp again. However, this company still has us creating HTML Help only. My manager has just assigned me to create and launch our first WebHelp project. Currently, we have RoboHelp 8, with a P.O. in process to purchase version 9 hopefully very soon. However, I cannot wait and have just started the project using version 8.  Since it's been a few years, I am a tad rusty in my use of RoboHelp/WebHelp. For this first project, I have been asked to customize the skin for EACH client that transitions to the new proprietary application. My question is, since it is likely that the contents of the completed WebHelp project will be identical (with the exception of the customized customer-specific skins, logos and window images) is there a creative, timesaving method for rolling out primarily the same content to each customer WITHOUT the need for me to maintain numerous, individual WebHelp projects?  I so appreciate any input or suggestions. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2011 Sep 07, 2011

I see Jeff creapt in while I was typing. The reason I suggested different layouts is to avoid having to remember to change the skin, build expression and variables. If you are happy to do that and your colleagues learn to duck when when you forget, the single layout approach is just as valid.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be inclined to use Conditional Build Tags and separate Single Source Layouts for the various skins (provided that you don't have a huge number of them). If you do have lots, then I would just maintain one and keep swapping out the skin for each time help is created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panic not, you will not need to maintain duplicate projects.

Create all the skins you need and then create a web layout which for illustration call General. Set that up the way you want.

Now right click on it and select Duplicate. Call this one Customer A. Leave all your settings except change the skin to be used. Repeat that for each customer.

I assume you are aware of Variables so that you can create different terms for each customer if that is required.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see Jeff creapt in while I was typing. The reason I suggested different layouts is to avoid having to remember to change the skin, build expression and variables. If you are happy to do that and your colleagues learn to duck when when you forget, the single layout approach is just as valid.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter and Jeff, there IS the potential for eventually reaching a HUGE number of customers, but I would expect that to take at least a good number of months or beyond to get to that stage. As for Peter's question about variables, I have used conditional build tags in the past, which I know is a variable, but I am not certain what else might be included in the category.

I was not aware that it is possible, within a single project, to create and maintain different versions of the same layout type, namely WebHelp by creating  duplicates for each customer. This could be challenging, but fun! So, as I get further into this I assume you are both "on call" for additional questions? Thank you both so much for your rapid responses.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are really going to have a large number of customers are you really intending to have one skin per customer? Sounds like a chat with the PM might be called for. The help can be customised for each customer by using variables without the need to also have a different skin.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, my original suggestion to the PM was to create ONE 'generic' version with fake customer names and images, but the preference is for the help to emulate the appearance of each customer's individual portal, which will display their name, address, company logo and custom colors.

I am not certain what you mean when you say to use variables without the need to also have a different skin. Can you please give me an example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To go as far as you are now describing (colours, logos etc) you probably do need different skins. What I was thinking was one skin but on pages where the customer name is used, such as Welcome to the XXX Portal there XXX could be a variable, same as the address stuff.

Where it might get interesting is the CSS you use for your topics. You would have to use one CSS for editing but when you generate your help you can specify a different CSS. So you would create a whole bunch of CSS files where the difference is colours and specify the appropriate one in each layout.

As long as you are OK with playing 3D chess you'll be OK.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peter thank you for sharing these new insights. The approach of the combination of customized skins with different CSS's is probably doable, but it sounds a bit fraught with the potential for human error going forward. I think this may call for stepping back to re-think our approach, possibly the use of context sensitive help or sticking with WebHelp, but creating a generic version by possibly avoiding the use of specific customer images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp