5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 4:44 AM by Steve Grisetti

Lossless export from PrE9 for Mac

Paul Dorotich

I have a number of projects in PrE9 for the Mac whose source files are AVI's captured from miniDV tapes. Each project is about 5-10 minutes in duration, representing individual scenes from a 2 hour stage play. I would like to export each project in a near-lossless manner so that I can compile the scenes into a single continuous movie to which I can add chapter markers and a DVD menu. Unfortunately, the Mac version of PrE9 will not export DV-AVI files and the MPEG options do not look promising. I am not concerned about the file sizes, just the quality of the output. Assuming that sharing the projects as Quicktime videos is the way to go, can someone suggest the best codec and settings to use in the Advanced options dialogue box? If Quicktime is not the best solution (especially since I intend to do the final project on a PC using CS5.5) then what would be a better option?

• 1. Re: Lossless export from PrE9 for Mac
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may be a bit confused by the word "lossless". Lossless video has no compression and is huge -- over a gigabyte per minute. So you probably don't want to mess with it.

The video you're working with is DV, which is compressed (approximately 5:1) with the DV codec. When used in a project set up for DV, the video data goes through unchanged, unless you add effects to it. So if you put DV in, edit it and get DV out, unless you've added effects to it, this output DV data is essentially the same as what goes in. This is called smart rendering, and it may be what you meant when you said lossless.

That said, DV-AVIs and DV-MOVs are essentially the same files. They contain the same data and are virtually interchangeable. So even if you put DV-AVIs and then output DV-MOVs, there is no loss of data. It's the same DV. MOVs are just the general video format for a Mac, the way AVIs are the general video format on a PC.

Make sense?

• 2. Re: Lossless export from PrE9 for Mac
            Paul Dorotich Level 1

Steve, you are correct that what I am really looking for is an equivalent

output to the DV-AVI inputs I have been using. Most of my editing is

simply cutting from one camera view to another (I had as many as 9 to

choose from) although I did use a few effects from time to time to enhance

a scene. So given that I am currently editing on a Mac, it is apparent

that I should use the MOV output. Under the advanced settomgs, however,

there are a number of codecs and an option for rendering depth. Can you

suggest which choice I should use?

• 3. Re: Lossless export from PrE9 for Mac

NTSC DV.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lossless export from PrE9 for Mac
                Paul Dorotich Level 1

Just a quick update to this thread. In the end, I saved the individual scenes using the QuickTime MOV format (NTSC DV widescreen as per example below). I imported those scenes into PrePro on my PC where I stiched them together before sending them to Encore for authoring with chapeter markings and menus. In the end the quality was acceptable and the 2 hour finished product fit on a single DVD for distribution to the cast members.

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 1.4 GB

Image Size: 720 x 480

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16-bit - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:06:28:25

Average Data Rate: 3.6 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.2121

• 5. Re: Lossless export from PrE9 for Mac

Love to hear the success stories, Paul! Happy moviemaking!