27 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 8:16 AM by rcnoble123

Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5

Design514

Creating an epub document in inDesign 5.5.

Poster frames for videos have been set in inDesign but when exporting and opening in ibooks, the poster frames do not display.

Am I missing a setting? I have tried both from current frame and placing.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think that's happened to me, as I recall. I think iBooks ignores the poster image and uses the first frame of the video. You might have to change your first video frame.

• 2. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I haven't gotten into video in epub but this sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure it's been discussed.

Bob

• 3. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
              Design514 Level 1

We have tried using first frame images and it did not work

• 4. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                Design514 Level 1

Thanks for the response.

Any idea where or when the was discussed? I have been looking through the forum and not finding anything.

Or if you know how the issue had been resolved.

We have tired:

- Using from current frame

- Choose image file

Are ther any special settings for export?

Thanks again for your help.

• 5. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5

I just checked the test files I used for the following blog posting:

http://indesignsecrets.com/picking-the-best-video-format-for-digital-publishing.php

As it points out in the blog posting, I found the H.264 MP4 format the best for all digital publishing and that's the format I used. In InDesign CS5.5, I selected the poster image shown below:

InDesignVideo.jpg

The poster image worked when I exported as interactive PDF and SWF.

However, when I export an EPUB file and opened it in iBook on both my iPad and my iPhone, iBook used the first frame of the video as shown below.

iPhone EPUB Video.jpg

• 6. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5

I forgot to mention that the single best source on how to place video and audio is Elizabeth Castro's eBook: "Audio and Video in EPUB: Straight to the Point Miniguide 2".

http://www.elizabethcastro.com/epub/

However, this will require that you "get your hands dirty" playing with the CSS and XHTML coding as she describes in the excellent eBook.

• 7. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                      Design514 Level 1

You have provided some great information.

We are still unable to make this work.

We are using the correct format.

We have cut out the black intro to the video to the first frame we want to use. This was done in Quicktime 7.

We brought it into indesign 5.5 and exported as epub.

Opened it up in ibooks with the same results.

The black image appears and click on the arrow and the movie plays.

I am not sure why this is not working, it very strange and we tried on two computers and different files.

• 8. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5

I'm not sure why the first frame of the movie file doesn't show in iBooks for you. I used Adobe Media Encoder 5.5 to create my MP4 file. You might try that instead of QuickTime. (Media Encoder comes with InDesign CS5.5 and the Suite.)

But I've now looked at the XHTML file and I see why picking a poster frame ISN'T working. InDesign doesn't include it in the video tag in XHTML.

For example, my video is referred to like this:

<video id="eds-cat-herders.mp4" controls="controls" width="400" height="300">
                        <source src="images/eds-cat-herders.mp4" type="video/mp4"/>
                        </video>

However, according to Elizabeth Castro's eBook, you can call out a poster image if you include it like this:

<video src="video/1-Burgosbar-fuera.m4v" width="320px" height="240px" controls="controls" poster="images/1-Burgosbar-fuera.jpg"></video>

In other words, you could easily edit the XHTML to give it any poster image. For some reason, InDesign CS5.5 isn't doing that, even if you explicitly select one.

Note, you also have to place that image in the correct location within the EPUB file, and include it in the manifest in the "content.opf" file.

• 9. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                          toadsong

I'm on a Mac. When I choose a poster image for a video and output my epub file, I get a prompt telling me that a link is missing. When I unzip the epub (using BetterZip) and extract the html, I can see the problem in the code:

<video class="image" id="dedication.m4v" poster="images/" width="480" height="270"><source src="images/dedication.m4v" type="video/mp4"/></video>

Note that there is reference to the poster image (which should be in the "images" folder), but the file itself is not named. Also, when I look into the "images" folder, there is no poster image. In other words, InDesign did not export the poster image (that is no doubt why upon export I got the prompt telling me that a link was missing).

So, it appears that InDesign knows there is supposed to be a poster image (I infer that by the reference to the poster in the html), but it doesn't follow through by exporting the poster image and giving it a name.

How do we inform Adobe about this problem? Is someone from Adobe listening-in to these forums?

• 10. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                            Design514 Level 1

I am currently out of the office and will be returning Sept 16th.

This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain material that is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient.

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

• 11. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                              rcnoble123

I am having the same issues. Additionally, we created poster frames for the first 5 frames of each video, and we still get black windows when viewed in an EPUB. It all looks great in inDesign. The thing that bothers me is if the option to select a poster frame does not work, they they should disable it or remove it, and offer instructions to add the frames hard coding after the fact.

• 12. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                Design514 Level 1

I am currently out of the office and will be returning Sept 16th.

This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain material that is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient.

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

• 13. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                  rcnoble123 Level 1

All the comments I agree with - we have frames at the beginning of the video - we have used "none" and "current frame" and it is still black. To go in and edit the code is fine - I can and have done that - but I cannot re package as an EPUB that works. Ms. Castro's book suggests doing that in the Terminal in the Mac - but that is not too easy - and in fact I cannot get beyond "permission denied".

So I am at a dead end. And Adobe has been less than helpful.

• 14. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                    toadsong Level 1

to zip files using Terminal, do the following exactly as instructed:

Open Terminal

Type cd-space  (= "cd ")

Drag folder containing your various epub files into window

Hit Return

Paste this code: zip -0Xq book.epub mimetype

Hit Return

Paste this code: zip -Xr9Dq book.epub *

_______

The zipped epub (labeled "book.epub") will appear in the folder!

• 15. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                      rcnoble123 Level 1

Ok - Thanks.

I can't get past the first command. I have typed the (="cd") in as many ways as I can think - adding spaces etc, but I get " Badly placed ()'s" each time.

Any ideas - and thanks in advance...

Richard

• 16. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Don't type the parentheses or quotes, just cd and a single space.

• 17. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                          rcnoble123 Level 1

Thanks Peter - I actually tried that and got a little further. I appreciate your response.

Here is where I am:

Last login: Tue Sep 20 14:37:58 on ttys000

G5:~ rnoble% cd /Users/rnoble/Desktop/zip_test_rezip

G5:~/Desktop/zip_test_rezip rnoble% zip -OXq book.epub mimetype

zip I/O error: No such file or directory

zip error: File not found or no read permission (book.epub)

G5:~/Desktop/zip_test_rezip rnoble%

It seems like the terminal is not seeing the folder (directory) zip_test_rezip - which is odd - because it seems to have seen it in the first command...

• 18. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                            toadsong Level 1

RC: Did you try dragging the folder into Terminal, as opposed to typing in its location yourself? Mine works fine if I just drag it into the Terminal window, then immediateliy follow that by hitting the return key.

• 19. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                              rcnoble123 Level 1

Thanks - yep that is how I did it. I am scratching my head, because it has the path and file. I started to wonder if it is the user that is causing problems (password) but I placed another file in the public folder and then dragged it to the terminal with the same result. I had high hopes I could solve this issue finally - you have been the most help so far!

• 20. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                                toadsong Level 1

Can you get the folder on to your desktop and try dragging it from there? I'm dragging mine from a folder on an external hard drive, and it works finel.

• 21. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                                  rcnoble123 Level 1

Thanks again - I was dragging from my desktop, and after reading your email - I copied the folder to a flash drive and went through the process from that location - with the same result. The folder is seen by the terminal on the first "return" then when I add the command line I get that it cannot see the folder or permission denied - and the folder is total read and write. There is some little thing that is blocking my ability to work with this folder or others as well - which is a shame because I can correct the code in the unzipped file and I am sure it would cure the poster frame issue...

Thanks - anyway

• 22. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                                    LuminousWorks Level 1

Sadly, InDesign still doesn't quite supply the complete code for the poster. The closest one can get, it seems, is adding a poster image to the placed video via the media panel and also placing the same image and making sure it exports (I add mine to the Articles panel, even though it is likely on the pasteboard) so it's in the manifest.

Adding the poster image will trigger an error at export but be brave and move on! In the HTML (yup, you gotta), you copy the name of the poster image (probably altered from what you thought it was) in the src attribute code from what will look like this:

Screen shot 2011-09-28 at 4.09.55 PM.png

and put it in the video tag where you'll see:

...poster="images/"... put it after the slash and before the quote. Then delete the DIV from where you copied (the entire snippet illustrated above). it was there just to add the image to the manifest and give you something to copy.

Hopeful that someone will find an easier way,

Steve Laskevitch

• 23. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                                      rcnoble123 Level 1

I'm circling back around on this topic to see if inDesign has made any changes that I am unaware of. I currently go through the Elizabeth Castro method of unzipping, adding the poster frame attribute to the video, adding the jpgs to the manifest, adding the images to the images folder, then going to Microsoft (in parallels) to rezip the file (because stuffit in mac doesn't do it correctly) and then renaming it ePub - and it works.

But - any changes - even one word in the book - requires you go through this routine all over again - because you are altering the files that inDesign generates when it exports!

So - inDesign - have you fixed in a later version? Are you going to fix soon? Does anyone out there know anything about this?

Last posts on this forum were in fall of 2011 - it is now spring 2012 - isn't that long enough to repair this glaring issue?

- Thanks

• 24. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5

This behavior has not been changed in InDesign CS5.5. You need to do as Elizabeth Castro suggests to add the poster frame.

We are not Adobe employees. We are InDesign users who cannot speak for Adobe about what they may be planning in terms of updates.

• 25. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                                          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

In addition, as CS6 is about to appear, it's unlikely that this issue will *ever* be fixed for CS5.5 or older ...

(FWIW I have never been able to get *whatever* poster image I wanted, for iBooks -- not a custom image, not the first frame; not by selecting it in ID, and not by manually tinkering with the epub file. I always get to see a dumb black screen, and so I have decided "it's an iBooks problem" and left it with that.)

• 26. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5

It's not an iBooks problem, it's an InDesign CS5.5 problem that hasn't been fixed.

Here is how Elizabeth Castro describes it in "From InDesign CS5.5 to EPUB and Kindle":

"If you've place a video you _should_ be able to choose an image from the video as a poster, or still image, that identifies your video when the video is paused. However, while this works inside InDesign, InDesign [CS]5.5 forgets to add the code to the HTML file and so it does not appear in the EPUB file. One workaround is to simply add the poster image by hand yourself..."

• 27. Re: Poster frames not displaying in ibook using indesign 5.5
                                                              rcnoble123 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I have spent several sessions with inDesign support to track down this issue. I actually uploaded files from a demo epub - converted to a zip to show them that the poster image was ignored. No image in the image folder, no "poster" attribute in the video portion of the HTML and no image listing in the manifest.

The overall response was that it was a bug and it is hoped that it is one of the things that has been repaired in version 6.

So when the demo is available, we will all check - because the way we need to ensure a poster image is on the video now is a complete hassle. And I am a little offended by the Adobe tutorial featuring Colin somebody showing how easy it is to select a frame and add it as a poster image. It doesn't work so they should at least take that tutorial off line.

It would be good if the first person who gets a chance to demo the version 6 would report back to our forum to let the rest of us know it would be worth it to purchase the upgrade.

Cheers