6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2006 6:48 PM by Newsgroup_User

Bulk relinking?

CJUK
      I have just been forced to move a large number of images into another directory.

Now, all the files that linked to those images show broken links.

All of the images are uniquely named, so I am hoping that there is a Dreamweaver feature that will check for broken links, then look for the missing file in a specified directory, and change the link to the new location if it finds the file in the new directory.

Basically I want Dreamweaver to do a link-check for directory X. When it finds a broken link, look for the file in directory Y.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
      - CJ
        • 1. Re: Bulk relinking?
          Level 7
          use Find and replace in source.

suggest making a backup of the local site folder.

find in source /oldfoldername/
          replace with /newfoldername/

this is a guess- your specific circumstances will be different.

theory is find a unique string and replace with what it should be.

• 2. Re: Bulk relinking?
            Level 7
            If you had done this with DW's Files panel the links would have been
            managed. Did you?

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"CJUK" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ebvi1q$afu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I have just been forced to move a large number of images into another
            >directory.
            >
            > Now, all the files that linked to those images show broken links.
            >
            > All of the images are uniquely named, so I am hoping that there is a
            > Dreamweaver feature that will check for broken links, then look for the
            > missing
            > file in a specified directory, and change the link to the new location if
            > it
            > finds the file in the new directory.
            >
            > Basically I want Dreamweaver to do a link-check for directory X. When it
            > finds
            > a broken link, look for the file in directory Y.
            >
            > Is this possible?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > - CJ
            >

• 3. Re: Bulk relinking?
              CJUK Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              use Find and replace in source.

theory is find a unique string and replace with what it should be.

I thought about doing this from the command line, but it doesn't offer any improvement over hand re-linking every broken image via DW.

I would need to search for every broken link, then search for the new location of the file, and then re-link.

So I don't think a find/replace method really works. I need a way to do a Broken Links search, and then tell Dreamweaver where it can find those missing files, so it can automatically re-link them.
              • 4. Re: Bulk relinking?
                CJUK Level 1
                quote:

If you had done this with DW's Files panel the links would have been
                managed. Did you?

Unfortunately I was unable to use that feature in Dreamweaver.

My situation is complicated, but basically there was an old version of our web site that was not organized in any logical way, and was developed over the last 5 years with many different tools and administrators.

Our new web site is now up and running (and in Dreamweaver), so I am taking the good parts of the old site, reorganizing them, and linking them into the new site.

A major section of our web site is our 5 years of archived Newsletters. Each of these has an HTML page, and several images. The images were not stored in any particular location, and were scattered all over the server's directory.

So I moved all the images from their random locations into a common directory, and have been going through and relinking the images to their original HTML documents.

I had just hoped DW would be smart enough to relink those images, with some sort of automated script.

Any ideas?
                - CJ
                • 5. Re: Bulk relinking?
                  Level 7

> So I moved all the images from their random locations into a common directory,
                  > and have been going through and relinking the images to their original HTML
                  > documents

about all i can suggest is do a sitewide link check.

in the Results box, there is a folder icon at the far right of each reported
                  broken link. use that to browse to and pick the correct file. Dw WILL fix
                  any other instances of that broken link.

If you had moved the images from within dw's File Panel, dw would have
                  updated the paths for you. Moving the files directly on the hard drive, dw
                  has no clue other than that they are broken links.

• 6. Re: Bulk relinking?
                    Level 7

"CJUK" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:ebvk9m$d5u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >
                    quote:

> If you had done this with DW's Files panel the links would have been
                    > managed. Did you?

>
                    > Unfortunately I was unable to use that feature in Dreamweaver.
                    >
                    > My situation is complicated, but basically there was an old version of
                    our web
                    > site that was not organized in any logical way, and was developed over the
                    last
                    > 5 years with many different tools and administrators.
                    >
                    > Our new web site is now up and running (and in Dreamweaver), so I am
                    taking
                    > the good parts of the old site, reorganizing them, and linking them into
                    the
                    > new site.
                    >
                    > A major section of our web site is our 5 years of archived Newsletters.
                    Each
                    > of these has an HTML page, and several images. The images were not stored
                    in
                    > any particular location, and were scattered all over the server's
                    directory.
                    >
                    > So I moved all the images from their random locations into a common
                    directory,
                    > and have been going through and relinking the images to their original
                    HTML
                    > documents.
                    >
                    > I had just hoped DW would be smart enough to relink those images, with
                    some
                    > sort of automated script.

Dreamweaver would have been smart enough to do it if you had used
                    Dreamweaver to move the images to their new home, rather than Windows
                    Explorer. It would have redone the link automatically.

You are saying the images are spread all over the place, all I can suggest
                    is that you have to a a series of search and replaces, with the end result
                    all pointing to your new images repository.