9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 8:45 PM by ohmk

Dragging a nested sequence

ohmk

I am making a video for my cousin's band...prog metal and all.  Anyway, I have about 20 clips that I've synchronized to a mp3.  4 of the clips run the full length of the song and I thought it'd be nice to make a multicam of that section.  Afterwards, I nested the multicam into a nested sequence.  I cannot seem to drag this newly created nested sequence back over to my main sequence with all of the other video in sync with the mp3.  Any help on this?  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Dragging a nested sequence
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Just so we're on the same page...

Sequence A is where you've synced up your four angles for multicamera editing.

Sequence B is where you've nested Sequence A, enabled multicam, and done the edit.

Sequence C is where you're attempting to nest Sequence B, but... no go.

Do I have this right?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dragging a nested sequence
            ohmk Level 1

Sorry, should have made it more clear.

Sequence 01 is where i have the 20~ ish tracks - and is, yes, where the first 4 videos that I used in multi cam came from.  I will delete those 4 vids from Sequence 01 as soon as I can import the newly created multicam nested sequence.

Sequence 02 is where I created a multi-cam, and from there nested it.  The nested sequence appears fine in Sequence 02 but I need it dragged into Sequence 01.

Thanks! 

• 3. Re: Dragging a nested sequence
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Potato, potato

Seriously though, I think we're talking about the same thing. You're attempting to add the finished multicam to your final sequence.

Where are you trying to drag the multicam nest from? From the bin or from the Timeline panel? What specifically happens when you try to do whatever it is you're doing? The only thing I can think of here is that you're trying to drag a sequence into itself--which clearly wouldn't work because you'd tear open a hole in the space-time continuum and we'd all be sucked in, never to be seen again.

• 4. Re: Dragging a nested sequence
                ohmk Level 1

Haha.

I might have done things a little backwards...I'm trying to learn as I go along with this project.  I'm actually trying to import the nested multicam sequence back into the original sequence that the multicam was created from.

Basically, I'm trying to drag it from the 'Project' panel on the left side of the screen to anywhere in the timeline of Sequence01.  I just get a circle with a line through it and am unable to do it.  If I create a new sequence, I'm able to drag the nested sequence in just fine and dandy.

• 5. Re: Dragging a nested sequence
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  I'm actually trying to import the nested multicam sequence back into the original sequence that the multicam was created from.

Basically, I'm trying to drag it from the 'Project' panel on the left side of the screen to anywhere in the timeline of Sequence01.  I just get a circle with a line through it and am unable to do it.  If I create a new sequence, I'm able to drag the nested sequence in just fine and dandy.

Hmm... that should be working. I wonder if it's more of an audio track issue than a video track issue. Try holding Ctrl/Cmd and double-clicking the nested multicam sequence in the bin; this will load it into the Source Monitor as if it were a clip. Now, try dragging the whole clip (video and audio), just the video (the filmstrip button), and just the audio (the speaker button). Anything?

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Dragging a nested sequence
                    ohmk Level 1

None of those work...I just tried nesting the existing videos in sequence01 in it's own nested sequence.  From there, I created a new sequence and inserted both nested sequences....haha.  I might as well be a bird.

I'm not entirely sure this is the best route to take but it works for now...strange.  Maybe you can't drag a nested multicam sequence to where the multicam got its originial videos?

• 7. Re: Dragging a nested sequence
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Maybe you can't drag a nested multicam sequence to where the multicam got its originial videos?

Maybe, but if that's the case, that's likely a bug. If you can replicate it, be sure to file a bug report here: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

While I'm thinking of it, can you drag any sequence into your final sequence?

• 8. Re: Dragging a nested sequence
                        ohmk Level 1

No, actually.  I thought they had to be nested to drag them into another sequence. 

• 9. Re: Dragging a nested sequence
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Well... no. Technically speaking--or rather, in the parlance of Premiere Pro--if you drag a sequence from the Project Panel/bin to another sequence in the Timeline panel, you're nesting it. The sequence is essentially functioning as a single clip at that point.

You can also select a number of clips and use the Sequence > Nest command. This simultaneously creates a new sequence (containing the clips in the selection) and nests it into the sequence that you've been working in.

Both are viable and both should work--and that's what makes me think that perhaps there is a procedural issue here. If I'm following the trail here, it sounds like you might be trying to add the final sequence to itself. Can you post some screenshots of how your sequences are set up and tier into one another?