20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 12:44 AM by Harm Millaard

So I just learned about needing more drives....

77mrd Level 1

I thought I was well off. Turns out after time on this forum, I am a newbie again..... ah, what a feeling.

I have one hard drive. It's a 1TB and called HITACHI HDT721010SLA360 ... whatever the heck that means.  Anyway... what kind of hard drives can or should I buy? Should I get the same ones? I hear you should have the same ones all across.  If so, what sizes? I am editing a movie I made for fun and it is about 30 min long and editing is slow. It is fast to edit when i have only like 5 min of timeline footage. But now the project is up to like 20 min and everything runs slow....

So any suggestions guys? What is compatible with my PC and should be upgraded? I know I need more hard drives. I have also just purchased a second monitor so I can have one to view my video and one to edit the timeline. I hope this was a wise choice... it only seems logical and I have used it just now and it seems easier to edit without having to resize workspaces constantly.

And if I need a new computer all together, let me know... I would rather not, however. If I must, I would consider some company who specializes in video editing builds, which I've read on this forum there is one called ADK who makes these systems.

YOU ALL ROCK! This is a great community and hobby to be apart of... although for some it's their job(and I wish to mine in the future as well)

Thanks to NEWEGG for keeeping so much order history, I found out all the specs of my computer in no time! Here it the list directly from when I bought it in 2009(I have upgraded to WIN 7 now by the way) :

Brand
      iBUYPOWER
      Model
      Gamer Supreme 928i
      Type
      Gaming
      Processor
      Intel Core i7 920(2.66GHz)
      Processor Main Features
      64 bit Quad-Core Processor
      Memory
      6GB DDR3 1333
      Hard Drive
      1TB SATAII
      Optical Drive 1
      22X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
      Graphics
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB Video Card
      Audio
      Realtek chipset
      Ethernet
      10/100/1000Mbps
      Power Supply
      800W
      Keyboard
      iBUYPOWER USB Deluxe Keyboard
      Mouse
      iBUYPOWER USB Mouse
      Operating System
      Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
      Free MS Windows 7 Upgrade
      Special Features
      PSI SILVER ARMORX Gaming Case + Blue color lighting

Motherboard
      Chipset
      Intel X58

CPU
      CPU Type
      Intel Core i7
      Installed Qty
      CPU Speed
      920(2.66GHz)
      L2 Cache Per CPU
      4 x 256KB
      L3 Cache Per CPU
      8MB
      CPU Socket Type
      LGA 1366
      CPU Main Features
      64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Graphics
      GPU/VPU Type
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
      Graphics Interface
      PCI Express 2.0 x16

Memory
      Memory Capacity
      6GB DDR3
      Memory Speed
      DDR3 1333
      Memory Spec
      2GB x 3
      Memory Slot (Total)
      Memory Slot (Available)
      Maximum Memory Supported
      24GB

Hard Drive
      HDD Capacity
      1TB
      HDD Interface
      SATA II

Optical Drive
      Optical Drive Type
      DVD±RW
      Optical Drive Spec
      22X DL DVD+/-RW Drive

Audio
      Audio Chipset
      Integrated

Communications
      LAN Chipset
      Integrated
      LAN Speed
      10/100/1000Mbps

Front Panel Ports
      Front USB
      Front eSATA
      1 x e-SATA (based on motherboard availability)
      Front Audio Ports

Back Panel Ports
      PS/2
      Video Ports
      2 DVI
      TV Out
      Rear USB
      Rear IEEE 1394
      eSATA
      RJ45
      1 port
      Rear Audio Ports
      6 ports
      S/P DIF
      1 x Optical S/PDIF output
      1 x Coaxial S/PDIF output

Expansion
      PCI Slots (Available/Total)
      3 x PCI-Express x16
      1 x PCI-Express x1
      2 x PCI

Physical Spec
      Dimensions
      17.4" x 17" x 7.9"
      Weight
      36 lbs
        • 1. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Basically your system is OK, apart from:

1. Memory. You better change the 3 x 2GB sticks for 6 x 4GB or if that is too expensive, then at least increase the number of sticks to 6.

2. Disks. You only need the same brand/model in raid configurations, but that is not the case. If you simply add two Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB disks you will improve your performance significantly.

Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

• 2. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
            77mrd Level 1

Harn,  i dont know why u r so helpful to everyone on the forums but im sure glad u are....   I want to get everything u hav recommended today from newegg probably. Could you pretty please reccomend which ram to buy? Ddr3 1600 4gb x 6 ? If so, which brand.   Thank you sooooo much! Dave

• 3. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Your 920 is a locked CPU, so unless you overclock to more than say 3.8 - 4.0 GHz, there is no sense in getting anything faster than DDR3-1600 and at that speed the Corsair Vengeance is very good and priceworthy, but it comes with high heatsinks, which may get in the way of some OEM CPU coolers.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                77mrd Level 1

I would like to overclock but anything ive read is beyond me. It seems so tricky with all the settings, so out of fear i havent touched any clock sets. So are you recccomending the vengence? High heat sinks meaning pysically high? Or heat wise they are hot? Sorry for the newbish....

• 5. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                  77mrd Level 1

Also, that ram has like 10 different versions! Any idea as to which to get? Looks like i will be spending 180 on ram and 120 on hard drives. About 300 worth of upgrades....

• 6. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The 1600C9 in tri-packs (three sticks in one package) is the one you should have a look at. And yes, I meant physically high, not in temperatures, since they run at 1.5V.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                      77mrd Level 1

Harm,

So I have slots for the ram. However,

I opened my PC and looked at my hardrdive. There is one hard drive with two cables connected to it. Each is labeled SATA. One is small cable and one is big cable. I looked for extra cable like this to know weather or not I can install more hard drives, but I only found one extra of the big sata cable laying around not connected, and no extra of the small sata cable. Would I need to buy an adapter or something now? Or would the hard disks come with that stuff? Maybe I'm screwed and need a new PSU or mobo?

Thanks again,

Dave

• 8. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Looking from the top down onto the drive, there is a 4 pin Molex connector that supplies power to the disk on the left hand side and there is a smaller SATA connector more to the right. Disks usually come with SATA cables, but not with Molex connectors. You need both, but if your PSU does not have any more free Molex connectors (very unlikely) you can use Molex splitters to create additional power connectors.

• 9. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                          77mrd Level 1

So I googled the picture of the MOLEX connector. I have seen this before, but when I opened my PC today, it was not the molex I have seen. It looks different and says SATA instead.

I'll have to check again once I'm off of work. I think possibly a molex to sata is there? I'll see.

• 10. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                            77mrd Level 1

Okay, my fault. I am looking at it now. I have two of the larger SATA connections, and two MOLEX. However, I don't have the small sata cable which is in my current harddrive.... I'm wondering if this will come with the hard disks you reccomended? I checked newegg for package content info but there was none.

Any my current sata hard drive does not have a molex connected to it... its two sata cables.

ideas?

• 11. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Just to be safe, order a couple of SATA cables or get them at the computerstore at the next corner.

• 12. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                                77mrd Level 1

Okay, well I just took the plunge and ordered 24gb ram. the tri pack was out of stock, so i went with the 4 pack, and then another 2 pack. I also got the 2 hard drives you reccomended. I'm sure I will be able to hook them up there somehow. I'll head to the local store if need be for cables.

Thanks, Harm. You rock!

• 13. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                                  RjL190365 Level 4

The two SATA connectors on the hard drive are as follows:

1) The larger SATA connector is for the SATA power (from the PSU).

2) The smaller SATA connector is the data connection (between the drive and the motherboard or SATA controller card).

• 14. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry to disappoint you, but I do hope this works, I mean the quad pack and the dual pack.

The reason is that on your mobo three slots need to be matched and the next three need to be matched too. Matched means having the same properties and that goes beyond the pure specs that we users get, Ideally you have a six pack but those are hard to get, then  the next option is two tri-packs, because the two tri-slots (A and B) are electrically separated, but using a quad pack and a dual pack may not work reliably depending upon hardware revisions used on the sticks, slightly different timings or profiles. Let's hope for the best, they may come from the same factory and batch, but OTOH, they may not and then you may be in for all kinds of mysterious hangs, errors and the like. I can only suggest you check this memory very, very carefully and try to discern from the manufacturers data and numbers if they came from the same factory. If not, be even more suspicious about reliability.

If you can I would cancel the current order and change it to two tri-packs. You may have to wait a bit longer, but then you have reliability and troubleshooting memory problems will ultimately cost you way more time and headaches.

• 15. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                                      77mrd Level 1

So how do I get the new drives connected to the Sata controller? I have to get the extra cables, right? Or, do I not need to do that? I can just connect them to the primary hard drive? I know, a lot of newbish here.

• 16. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                                        77mrd Level 1

Got it. I will cancel the 6 sticks and try to find two tri packs elsewhere. Guess I have to eat the cost else where since they are more expensive other places.

• 17. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                                          77mrd Level 1

Actually, newegg JUST got it back in stock.. the tri pack. So i got two tripacks on the way.

• 18. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Great news. Let us know your experience in performance gains. Happy editing 

• 19. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                                              77mrd Level 1

So I got my 24 gig of ram and 2 extra drives. Everything is installed and registered in Windows 7 64bit.

An important note to add to anyone considering an upgrade, seeing that I had some troubles with all of it:

First, Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate(64 bit editions, of course) is the only ones capable of running any more than 16gb of ram. I had to pay an extra $90 to upgrade my Win 7. That is stupid, Microsoft!

Second, everything was recognizd except for one hard drive. I had many theories such as, my mobo only supports 3 sata devices at once, my psu can't output enough power, or bios has some settings I need to enable. Turns out, after HOURS of taking this cable from this place and trying it in this place and all this garb, I found that one of the manufacturers SATA cables were bad! hardly noticable, but when i peeled back some of the covering on the wires, I see the wires are not fitly joint.

Third, a big computer case would be HIGHLY reccomended. In my case(no pun intended), the drives barely made the fit! Had heck of a time doing that. Especially with all the wires crammed everywhere.

So anyhow, I'm here transferring my media(video/audio files of my projects and other recordings I often re-use) to my second drive as Harm reccomended in his general hard disk guide. The only thing I am confused about, harm, is that you say to do Exports to a third drive. Are you referring to when I literally export my project? This would only make exporting faster and not the actual workflow, correct?

Let me know if you can. And as you know, I will probably have a few more other questions after this about the setup while going through Premiere. For now I'm just transferring media(125 gigs).

Thanks!

MrD

• 20. Re: So I just learned about needing more drives....
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct. When exporting, your source media are read from one disk, rendered and then written to another disk. In this way you minimize the accesses to the disks and avoid reading and writing to the same disk, so the performance is better. For your workflow it does not help, only in the export time.

Nice that you reported your experiences. Personally I like the part about the case and the cabling problems, not in the sense that I liked you having these problems, but in the sense that people can learn from the practical problems of using anything smaller than a big tower. I have always preached that a big tower is the way to go, because it is easier to install the components, cable management is significantly easier and cooling is better because of better air-flow in a big tower. It is experiences like your own that emphasize the usefulness of big towers.