3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2011 10:48 AM by locavore

Pre-InDesign – preparing text for ePub

Derek Cross Level 6

This is not exactly an InDesign issue but I can’t imagine where else I might start this discussion!

I have to convert a number of printed books to ePub. The titles are mostly fiction, (they are the usual simple designs with one-column layouts and without illustrations). I will be using a ScanSnap S1500M to scan and digitize the pages on an iMac with the software ABBYY FineReader Express.

After scanning I need to manually check the text for scanning mistakes, remove folios and running heads and ensure that, apart from chapter headings and paragraphs the text runs on. I then subsequently need to place this text into InDesign for paragraph and character styling, adding the prelims, the cover, and adding metadata, before exporting to ePub from InDesign CS5.5.

I know how to do the InDesign part but am looking for solutions for after scanning, that is, having digitised the text, which programs and workflows are recommended ? Would you use MSWord and keep some styling or maybe a program like BBEdit, that strips out all codes and brings it back to basic text?

Thanks, Derek

• 1. Re: Pre-InDesign – preparing text for ePub
          John Hawkinson Level 5
          After scanning I need to manually check the text for scanning mistakes, remove folios and running heads and ensure that, apart from chapter headings and paragraphs the text runs on.

Assuming you have a rectangular text block and that folios, etc. are outside it, I would recommend you scan to PDF, batch crop the entire PDF (as with Acrobat Pro), and then do your OCR. That way you'll save yourself a lot.

Though it's been years since I've used ABBYY FineReader; maybe it already solves this problem for you?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pre-InDesign – preparing text for ePub
            Derek Cross Level 6

Thanks John. I'll experiment.

Regards, Derek

• 3. Re: Pre-InDesign – preparing text for ePub
              locavore Level 1

Cropping the PDF, as John mentions, and reducing it with optimization will help get a cleaner scan. If you find it easier to edit/clean up the scanned text in Word, if you save the PDF into Word and clean up by making paragraph and character styles (and use them consistently) in Word, you can import into IDD and map your Word styles to IDD styles. Working in Word may make it easier to send to the client for review before layout in IDD, if that is part of your process.