8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 2:43 PM by Leah Adams

On which hard drive(s) should I keep the "working copies" of my web pages?

Leah Adams

Hello.

I have just joined the Adobe Forums so I am kinda nervous still as a newbie starting right at the bottom.

I wonder if someone will help me solve my question about my hard drive disks.

I have just started the Dreamweaver tutorial, "Creating your first website, Part 1: Set up your site and project files" (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt1.html), and I am about to define a local site folder.

The tutorial read, "You've now defined a local site folder for the Check Magazine site. This is where you keep the working copies of web pages on your local computer."

I have the following hard drive disks,

320GB (Windows 7 and Programs)
      250GB
      250GB
      1.5TB
      1.5TB,

and I am wondering on which hard drive(s) I should keep these "working copies" of my web pages?

Are "working copies", "Project files" and "editing files" the same thing?

• 1. Re: On which hard drive(s) should I keep the "working copies" of my web pages?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It does not really matter, since the local site is not disk intensive. BTW, this is the Premiere Pro CS5+ forum and that is where disk setup is really relevant, but for DW it is not, so I would not be nervous about it.

In your case any of the 250 GB disks would be OK, unless you have a huge website to build. For comparison, I have my local site on my C: drive for this site: PPBM5 Benchmark

I never bothered to move it to another disk and have no performance issues, but it still is a small site. For the rest I would direct your further questions to the DW forums.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: On which hard drive(s) should I keep the "working copies" of my web pages?
            Leah Adams Level 1

Hello Harm Millaard.

THANKYOU for replying to my question!

Pardon me that I neglected to write that I have Adobe CS5 Master Collection and that I intend learning all the programs, including Premier Pro.

Thankyou for the link to the site PPBM5 Benchmark. I had a quick peak at it and will go explore it some more.

Harm Millaard wrote:

In your case any of the 250 GB disks would be OK, unless you have a huge website to build.

I intend learning to build a website for someone who wants more or less 90 media files (avaraging 30 minutes per video) on the website, so would that fall under "a huge website"?
            If so, should I join my two 250GB hard drive disks to be in RAID 0?

• 3. Re: On which hard drive(s) should I keep the "working copies" of my web pages?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Leah,

You would not need to have all those media files locally, but on your host server, so that does not qualify as a 'huge' website. At most you will have a couple of .HTML and .PHP pages to link to those media files. In website design, you want to minimize local files and use your hosting company to store and retrieve info from. I went the same route you are in now. I used to make 'huge' HTML files for the website I linked you to earlier, 5 pages each 2.5 MB size and the response times were atrocious. See the Old result pages. I then went for a MySQL database and now my PHP pages are only 25 KB or less. It gives you more flexibility, easier updating and more functionality.

When editing with PR, have a look at Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup to see some recommended configurations. My first thought is the 320 as OS/Programs, 2 x 250 in raid0 and the other disks as separate disks for media, projects and exports. The raid0 for pagefile, media cache and previews, in addition to your local site.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: On which hard drive(s) should I keep the "working copies" of my web pages?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should ask Dreamweaver questions in that forum, where the Dreamweaver experts live

http://forums.adobe.com/community/dreamweaver

• 5. Re: On which hard drive(s) should I keep the "working copies" of my web pages?
                  Leah Adams Level 1

Mr. Millaard.

Thank you so much for the above explanation.

It is VERY, VERY helpful. I appreciate your time.

On your suggestion I carefully studied "Generic Guideline for Disk Setup". I also read your article "To RAID or not to RAID" that I found in the Hardware FAQ List. Thankyou for those very helpful articles.

If I may ask two more questions ... ? ... I have the following two questions.

Harm Millaard wrote:

You would not need to have all those media files locally, but on your host server, ...

My one question : Does the same apply to project files?

Harm Millaard wrote:

My first thought is the 320 as OS/Programs, 2 x 250 in raid0 and the other disks as separate disks for media, projects and exports. The raid0 for pagefile, media cache and previews, in addition to your local site.

My other question : If I have my local site on the 2 x 250 in RAID 0 disks, in addition to pagefile, media cache and previews, would you suggest that I use one of my other two disks as security to backup my local site that's on the 2 x 250 RAID 0 disks, in case one of these two disks in RAID 0 fails?

• 6. Re: On which hard drive(s) should I keep the "working copies" of my web pages?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Leah,

You have to be very clear in expressing your questions here, otherwise people as simple-minded as myself may have difficulty understanding what you mean.

Project files usually relate to PR. If you mean something in DW, I have to admit that I have no idea what you are talking about. I use DW regularly, but never encountered the term 'Project file' in that application.

Wherever you place your PR media and project files, you need a good backup, especially for your project files if you store them on your raid0. For your website it is not that important, since you can always synchronize your local site over FTP with the one on the hosting server, that acts like a backup for you.

• 7. Re: On which hard drive(s) should I keep the "working copies" of my web pages?
                      Leah Adams Level 1

John T Smith wrote:

You should ask Dreamweaver questions in that forum, where the Dreamweaver experts live

John T Smith,

Hi.

Thankyou for your reply.

In my post below I explain why I posted this thread to this forum.

• 8. Re: On which hard drive(s) should I keep the "working copies" of my web pages?
                        Leah Adams Level 1

Mr. Millaard.

Harm Millaard wrote:

You have to be very clear in expressing your questions here, otherwise people as simple-minded as myself may have difficulty understanding what you mean.

Thankyou for guiding me here.

Everything you said in your reply in post no. 6 above makes sense to me now!

I understand now why my questions may have caused difficulty understanding what I meant.

I also understand now why John T Smith wrote to me in post no. 4 above, "You should ask Dreamweaver questions in that forum, where the Dreamweaver experts live ".

I posted this thread here because the Premiere Pro CS5+ forum is where disk setup is relevant.

Harm Millaard wrote:

If you mean something in DW, I have to admit that I have no idea what you are talking about. I use DW regularly, but never encountered the term 'Project file' in that application.

My confusion came in with the terms 'project files' and 'working files' being used in a Dreamweaver CS5 Tutorial as follows.

"Dreamweaver CS5 Getting Started Tutorial
                        Creating your first website – Part 1: Set up your site and project files.
                        This tutorial introduces you to the concept of an Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 site and shows you how to set up the project files ..."

My confusion also came in when, in answer to my thread question in the Dreamweaver Forum, "Are "working copies", "project files" and "editing files" the same thing?" (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/900374?tstart=0),
                        I received the following replies.

"What David is referring to as the project files are the files that your website is composed of. And the working copy is just another term to say this is the copy you, for lack of a better term, work on and test with before the final steps of uploading your site to your website server."

and

"Yes. They are the site's files that are contained within your local root folder."

Harm Millaard wrote:

Project files usually relate to PR. If you mean something in DW, I have to admit that I have no idea what you are talking about. I use DW regularly, but never encountered the term 'Project file' in that application.

I went and had a look (for the first time) at Premier Pro, and learned that 'project files' thus relate to both PR and DW. Hence the confusion.

However, one of the replies in the Dreamweaver Forum to my question there about RAID 0 was,

"Why would the raid level make any difference at all?  My data files are all stored on a RAID 4 system and seems to do pretty well."

but another reply was,

"This is actually a very good question as it goes to the heart of the best ways to manage your files on your local drive, testing and remote servers. If you're working alone, you have a little more leeway, but if you're working in a team environment, it's important to have everything set up correctly and that everyone is using the same terminology."

So for now it seems that I shall have to first go and learn to understand the exact differences between Dreamweaver 'project files' and Premier Pro 'project files', before I just go ahead and RAID without being sure where it is best to put what files.

Harm Millaard wrote:

... . For your website it is not that important, since you can always synchronize your local site over FTP with the one on the hosting server, that acts like a backup for you.

Thankyou for this helpful explanation!

You have answered all my questions in this thread. Thankyou for that.
                        Have a nice day!