4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2011 5:52 AM by Steve Grisetti

Output video quality low?? Please help. New user.

Mikegyro

I just bought my PE9 yesterday and so far I have been very disappointed with it.  I have been using the boring stock Windows Live Movie Maker and wanted to try a better editing option. I did some test movies last night and so far the video quality when I am done is far lower than when I used Windows Live.  I am using a FlipHD video camera and the quality of videos is very nice.  Once I run it through the Adobe PE9 it cuts the quality WAY DOWN and looks grainy and smaller.  I assume (hope) that I am doing something wrong.  I normally like to save my videos to my external hard drive.  I see that Adobe PE9 has a very limited number of options for saving the files.  Am I missing something? is there a way to "turn on" the HD??  I am clearly making SD videos at this point.  Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

• 1. Re: Output video quality low?? Please help. New user.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you select the project settings for Flip HD video? This is vital to maintaining your video quality!

Your final output quality though depends on which Share settings you choose. But it is available to get video out of Premiere Elements that's every bit as good as the original camcorder video you add to it. You just need to decide how you plan to share it -- on BluRay or DVD disc, online, etc. But Premiere Elements can save your video in a number of formats including AVI, Divx, MOV, Flash FLV, WMV, MPEG, M2T and MP4, so I'd hardly call its output options limited. What else are you looking for?

My free 8-part Basic Training video tutorial series on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com may be helpful. In part 1 I show you how to properly set up a project for a number of video formats, including Flip video.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Output video quality low?? Please help. New user.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Along with Steve's suggestions, here is a list of some useful RESOURCES for leaning how PrE works. Included, you will see Steve's excellent Basic Training Series, linked above, plus a few more.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Output video quality low?? Please help. New user.
              Mikegyro Level 1

Thanks guys...I watched the lessons(great job).  I was doing everything correct so far.  The output quality is still VERY poor.  I am using output to computer (AVI).  I do not see any options for 1080i.  Windows Live Movie outputs to 1080i. perhaps thats part of the problem.  The movies made in APE come out about 1/2 the size or smaller.  I have to double click them to see them full size. (not when using Windows Live) and the movie is very grainy.  I am at the end of my rope with this program.  Is there a setting I'm missing for HD?? So far Ive been sticking with the crappy Widows Live because my movies come out so much better.

• 4. Re: Output video quality low?? Please help. New user.
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from? Which project settings are you using when you start your Premiere Elements project?

AVIs are a standard definition format. What happens if you output your movie as a BluRay or hi-def file? Try using Share/Disc/BluRay or even Share/Computer/MPEG with the 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 output preset to produce a hi-def video file.

If you are using the proper settings, there is no reason your output video shouldn't look virtually identical to your original footage.