8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 6:50 PM by David W. Goodrich

Footnotes, Numbering, and Sections from Word to InDesign CS5

Margaret McCullough Level 1

Looking for advice on importing footnotes from Word to Indesign CS5. I have a word document with multiple chapters that has been formated with endnote refrences resetting at the chapter heads (ie: Chapter 1 has notes 1, 2, 3..., Chapter 2 begins it again 1, 2, 3... and so on.) My client has kindly put the notes themselves in another document. I am not an expert in Word but everything looks okay on that end as far as I can tell.

When I import the document I am checking include Footnotes and Endnotes but instead of reseting for each chapter all of my notations are continuing (and I now have notes 1, 2, 3... and on to 2357). Is there any way I can have these refrence numbers reset properly without re-pouring the document? I tried making section markers on master pages but that didn't work.

• 1. Re: Footnotes, Numbering, and Sections from Word to InDesign CS5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Type > Doucment Footnote Options...

Click the Restart Numbering box and the dropdown for your choices will be active, I believe they restart automatically for each story, too.

• 2. Re: Footnotes, Numbering, and Sections from Word to InDesign CS5

Thank you for the response. I've tried using Document Footnote Options and nothing happens. Is there something I'm missing while importing perhaps?

I'm really worried now because I've read comments and documents that say endnotes are not supported when importing to inDesign at all. Which means that I need to do what? Change the word document to have footnotes re-place the text and then create endnotes manually or change each chapter's endnote refrences by hand in my poured book? I'm so lost, neither of these is a good solution for a book with thousands of notes and I have already placed 1st round edits in my inDesign file which will be lost... so sad.

• 3. Re: Footnotes, Numbering, and Sections from Word to InDesign CS5
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm a little fuzzy on handling word endnotes (never had to do it), but my memory is that they are just tagged on as ordinary text at the end of the file. ID does not support end notes directly or dynamically, only footnotes. If you change them to footnotes in Word before importing, there are some scripts for converting (though you will lose automatic number updating if you add or remove a note once converted to endnotes). If memeory serves, there should be one at http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/footnotes.html

It would be worth googling InDesign endnotes to see waht older discussions you can find. A number of our regulars have posted at some length about how they deal with them.

• 4. Re: Footnotes, Numbering, and Sections from Word to InDesign CS5
                David W. Goodrich Level 3

If you want to end up with endnotes numbered for each chapter then I think you must split the Word file up into chapters in Word and import those individually.  Each chapter should then come in to ID with its own notes at the end of the file, numbered from one to whatever.  The notes will have no automatic features at all, they will be just ordinary text with hard-wired numbers.  But this means you can gather the notes from each ID file and move them into a separate Notes file if the book's design calls for all notes to go at the back.  You can then use ID's book feature to combine the ID chapter files and the notes section.

Assuming you began your editing at the beginning, you can save your work on Ch. 1, but for Ch. 2 and later you'd have to choose between saving what you've done or re-numbering by hand.  (I know only too well this is not fun.)  If you must do a series of search-and-replacing, remember that ID can search all open files.

If you don't want to use ID's Book feature you could also recombine the imported files in ID, combining all the chapters into one large file.  Some folks like to handle books this way anyway, and it can be especially handy if you will be adding cross-references -- references between files can bog ID down.

I work mostly with footnotes, i.e., notes at the bottom of the page, and must mention that ID has a nasty habit of occasionally eating one or more notes when importing Word files.  So my first task after importing is to check whether all the notes survived.  I don't know whether this would be true of endnotes.  I spent hours yesterday and today trying to avoid having to cut and paste 137 notes one by one for a file where someone had corrupted the first note (by deleting Word's note number) and then convert footnotes to endnotes and back; I output *.rtf, *.doc, and *.docx files and import those into IDCS4, without success.  I even tried saving from Word into *.odt format, closing that, and having Word convert it to different formats ID could import.  What finally seems to have worked was opening the original *.doc file in Open Office 3, zapping the offending first footnote and then converting to endnotes and back, closing, re-opening the *.odt file in Open Office and finally saving it to *.rtf; some double quotes got messed up, but so far I think the text is okay.

Good luck!

David

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Footnotes, Numbering, and Sections from Word to InDesign CS5

Splitting the word .doc was the answer... unfortunately it also means I lost my editorial placements. Neither my client nor I noticed the reordered refrence numbers until a lot of work had been done on the book. BIG mistake! I did indeed find a script that would fix the notes themselves but it did nothing to fix the refrences in the body content. Thank you so much for your help!

I love the book feature in ID, the client didn't love the way the book would be chopped up into seperate collected files... I should have just insisted. This issue would have been nullified by that process.

Thank you for the heads up about the missing notes. I will have editorial double check that nothing is missing.

• 6. Re: Footnotes, Numbering, and Sections from Word to InDesign CS5
                    [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

David, don't you just love that feature of Word where dodgy footnotes are preserved even when saving as every possible Word version?

And then to think people are actually asking for InDesign to have the same behavior.

• 7. Re: Footnotes, Numbering, and Sections from Word to InDesign CS5

Actually, this whole debacel has sent the project back to the editor for full revision and proves the point that clean documents must be sent for design. The very worst of it was going to be adding new notes and refrence numbers and then had ordering; if I had poured into a book format instead of a single document it still would have been a disaster.

I've lost 2 weeks of work, at least I know what I'm up against for the next time. The fact that both programs have bugs in this same funtion is awful, what are they thinking? It's not like the world will just stop needing endnotes (crazy.)

• 8. Re: Footnotes, Numbering, and Sections from Word to InDesign CS5
                        David W. Goodrich Level 3

Who was that masked man?  Zorro?  The Lone Ranger?  Word has been driving me nuts since Win3.1.

David