4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 2:26 PM by andi_urra

Export .wav with markers from Audition into Premiere Pro CS5.5

andi_urra Level 1

Hi,

I need help in getting a multitrack mixdown with markers from Audition into Premiere.

This is what I have:

An Audition CS5.5 multitrack session with lots of markers

This is what I did to export:

Audition > File > Export > Multitrack Mixdown > Entire Session > .wav & "include markers and other metadata"

When I import that .wav in Premiere Pro there are no markers, neither in the source monitor, nor in the sequence.

When I import it into After Effects, all markers are there. Unfortunately, this does not help me in my editing in Premiere.

Is there any workaround for that? A direkt export from Audition via

Multitrack > Export to Premiere Pro

did not help either.

There is a thread on this in Soundtbooth (sorry for posting there, too) where it is stated that it should work in Premiere, too:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3908899#3908899

Please help, regards,

Andreas

• 1. Re: Export .wav with markers from Audition into Premiere Pro CS5.5
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Hi Andreas,

Continuing the discussion from where you cross-posted on the After Effects forum

I'm not the savviest Premiere Pro user, so I'm only going to stick my 2 cents in here and then disappear.  I'll leave the real Premiere Pro experts to help you beyond this.

I tried what you described (export a mixdown from Audition, import into Premiere Pro and add to a sequence), and I did not get the markers as I would have expected, and as After Effects does.  So this is probably a bug.  Please make sure to file a bug report.

I did find some workarounds.  You can successfully transfer the multitrack session markers between Audition CS5.5 and Premiere Pro CS5.5 by doing either of the following:

1. Export the session from Audition as a Premiere Pro project: Mulitrack menu > Export to Adobe Premiere Pro

2. Export the session from Audition using the FCP XML format: File menu > Export > FCP XML Interchange Format

I hope that helps.

-=TimK

-=Adobe After Effects and Adobe Media Encoder QE

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export .wav with markers from Audition into Premiere Pro CS5.5
            andi_urra Level 1

Hi Tim,

first of all, thank you for your help.

I also just filed a bug report, as you suggested.

Now let me share the results of checking out the workaround that you suggested:

1. Export to Premiere Pro via "Mulitrack menu > Export to Adobe Premiere Pro"

I had tried that before and found it not working. This was a partial mistake. What I mean by that is, when you do that, the exported .wav files get automatically added to the sequence timeline. And do not show markers. BUT, what I overlooked was, that there is a sequence created alongside which resides in the project panel. This sequence does in fact include the markers, as sequence markers.

Now comes the bitter part: When I delete the automatically added .wav from the timeline and replace it with said sequence, the markers are treated as clip markers. By contrast to After Effects, in Premiere Pro clip markers do not contain any text / names. I.e. all metadata is lost except the mere fact of anonymous markers on the timeline.

2. Export to Premiere Pro via " File menu > Export > FCP XML Interchange Format"

Same as above. Except, that I had not tried that before. What I had tried before was ...

3. Export via " File menu > Export > OMF"

Interestingly, this cannot be imported in Premiere Pro at all. Could this be another bug?

Comment:

I really hope that the markers export/import gets fixed soon.

I also wished, that clip markers in Premiere Pro would be as intelligent as in After Effects (naming, updating, showing their text clearly in the timeline)

I also wished that sequence markers would be as intelligent as comp markers in After Effects in showing their text clearly in the timeline.

... but thats a lot of wishing going on

Kind regards,

Andreas

• 3. Re: Export .wav with markers from Audition into Premiere Pro CS5.5
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks, Andreas.

Just FYI, I've gotten confirmation by folks on both the Audition and Premiere Pro teams that this is a bug / design limitation that comes from the fact that the two programs deal with clip amrkers differently. We'll be looking into how we can address this in the future. Thanks for submitting the bug report.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Export .wav with markers from Audition into Premiere Pro CS5.5
                andi_urra Level 1

Great to know that it was received. Thank you very much, Todd!