11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 3:44 AM by Peter Spier

Data Merge in both Master and Document

aren55555 Level 1

Hi there, I am an experienced programmer new to Adobe InDesign.

What I want to do is somehow get some data into an InDesign document. I have tried to use a data merge. Unfortunately this does not work since I need to use the data in both a Master Page and a Page. I get this error:

"Data merge object cannot be on both document and master pages. Please place all data merge filed on doucument pages or on master pages."

What am I supposed to do?

Is there any other way to pull external data into an InDesign document? I have looked at using Text Variables but cannot figure how to make them have an external data source.

Thanks fo the help!

• 1. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you post some specifics about what you are trying to acomplish? What's your data source, and why does it need to go onto document and master pages? If we know what you are working with, and what end result you want, we can be of more help.

• 2. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document
            aren55555 Level 1

My data source is a really simple CSV like:

Company Name,Project Name,Contact Name,Date

Test Comnpany Inc.,The Good App,Some Dude,"September 20, 2011"

And I used a Master page to create a footer. In this footer I nned to use the 'Company Name' data. I also need to use the 'Company Name' data in multiple points within the document itself.

It is really simple and I hope InDesign can do this.

Thanks for your quick response.

• 3. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document

I create similar doucments quite often.

This will be a two-step process. You'll have to set up the data merge on a master page with ONLY your data-merge setup. Nothing else can be on the page or in the document; everything on the page will be duplicated for each record.

You can add your footer and other once-per-page information (such as automatic page numbers) on the Master Page of the resulting merged document.

• 4. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document
                aren55555 Level 1

So currently all my Master has is a header and footer. I need to put the company name into the footer so I go to 'Data Merge' -> 'Select Data Source' which is where I select my CSV from.

Now I am looking at the Master and I am dragging my CSV fields into it. My CSV only contains one row so I dont think that there can be duplication.

Now when I go back to my document pages, and try dragging the CSV field - I get that error I posted above.

So to sum my objective up:

I want to be able to take 4 external values and bassically place them throughout my document. I was using 'Text Variables' but this still required me to transfer them from a CSV to InDesign.

• 5. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document

Not sure I understand your document. Will the footer have differnet data on different pages of the doucment?

How many of the

records will be on each page?

• 6. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document
                    aren55555 Level 1

Not sure I understand your document. Will the footer have differnet data on different pages of the doucment?

No. There is one footer, present on every page but the first (title page). I have never used InDesign before so maybe I did this wrong - I used a Master to implement my footer.

How many of the

records will be on each page?

So the footer only gets Company Name

The rest of the document uses all four.

• 7. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document

If I understand what you are trying to do, you will need to create the merged document first, putting only your repeating fields on the master page, then add your footer to the master page of the finshed merged document. Add your title page there as well.

• 8. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document
                        aren55555 Level 1

I'm very new to InDesign so I don't really know if I am doing this right.;

I have no repeating data.
                        I used the Master thing to create a footer.

I only applied the master to pages other than the first.

I want to be able to easily change some "variable" and have the changes reflected in the document - essentially like fill in the blanks.

Please advise the best way to go about this - I may have done everything wrong and I am willing to start from scratch if necessary.

Thanks for your help and sorry for being so confusing.

• 9. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document

Is this a template, where the

info  will be the same Dude, same Company, etc. throughout the doucment, and then other data will be added to the document pages? Could you attach a screen shot of what a couple of your finished pages should look like?

• 10. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document
                            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

don't want to redirect the OP out of this site but i think a piece i wrote elsewhere may help:

http://colecandoo.wordpress.com/2011/08/27/merge-merge-merge-merge-is-the-word/

otherwise have a look at michael murphy's "the indesigner" website: www.theindesigner.com - he has several videos dealing with automation using data merge.

is this a task which has to be done with data merge? could it not be done with XML or a third party plug-in?

• 11. Re: Data Merge in both Master and Document
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've been watching this thread and I THINK finally maybe I understand this.

First, this is a single record per page merge. If there is more than one page in the document for each record, I don't think you can put the fields on the master, otherwise I don't see a reason to choose master over document page except for the added ability to update the data file if the fields are on the master, but this is somewhat limited and can be problematic (seems to drop images, if any are included, for example).

My understanding is that you want to use multiple fields in the body of the document, and repeat the data from one filed in a running footer, and fro the error you receive it seems like you've put all the fields onto the document page where they belong, and also tried to add one field to the footer on the master page. This is the one you need to change.

Instead of using Data merge to populate the footer, you can use a variable of type Running Header, which comes in two flavors, paragraph style and character style. You probably want the character style version for this. If the data you want in the footer is the company name, create a unique character style -- which can be nothing but a name, you don't have to change any text attibutes at all -- and apply it to the company name field up in the body of the document. Your footer should then pick up the company name after the merge.