10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 9:15 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?

mistalovalova

Would it?

I need a laptop, so desktops are out of the question.

I was going to get the creative suit 5.5 premium production and would use it for editing and photoshop and after effects.

I had my eyes on a MabBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Quad core i7 with 500GB 7200rpm, 4GB DDR3 RAM (thinking I might have to go for 8GB) and the AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 with a high resolution 1680x1050 screen.

How smooth and seamless with other apps a laptop would that be running premier/after effects/etc...

Also read that I NEED a second Hard Drive? How essential is that?

Message was edited by: mistalovalova spelling

• 1. Re: Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?
          Zoop studio Level 1

I'm afraid not, if you really want to edit on a mobile machine, you better go Intel laptop ( on Premiere pro/After Effects: half the price, twice the speed to a Apple)

And you need a Nvidia videocard with cuda and 1000 or more GDDRS 5

On the link you can see good examples of specialy fine tuned laptops and the specificatios. (they say ADK is a very good store)

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/laptop.asp

Here you can see a lot about the disk set up etc

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750

Ok. there's a lot of reading to do.. But, you will have great benefit to do so!

Luc

• 2. Re: Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?
            RjL190365 Level 4

To answer your question:

Even the most expensive Macbook Pro falls below Adobe's minimum practical requirements to run Premiere Pro CS5.x. The four big deficiencies of Macbook Pros are the lack of any RAID support at all whatsoever, the lack of any eSATA ports whatsoever, the fact that no current Macbook Pro can be configured at all with an Nvidia CUDA GPU and the relatively poor multithreaded performance of all versions of OS X. And trying to run CS5 on a system with only a single hard drive for everything including the OS is at best an exercise in frustration: The single SATA hard drive interface in that Macbook Pro simply cannot handle simultaneous reads and writes (which the software requires) because SATA is only a half-duplex interface (unlike SAS which is a full-duplex interface). The newer Macbook Pros have one or two Thunderbolt ports; however, Thunderbolt external hard drives are relatively rare and relatively expensive. That leaves only one Firewire 800 port and a couple of USB 2.0 ports - which are all too slow to be of much use with a decently fast hard drive (or put it this way, the hard drive performance will be significantly slower than if those same drives are connected to a faster interface because the drives' physical transfer speed is significantly faster than the maximum practical transfer speed of either FW800 or USB 2.0).

As a result of all of those deficiencies, that Macbook Pro will run significantly slower in CS5.x than even the slowest Windows 7-based desktop PC with a current-generation Intel processor as well as many of the middle-of-the-road Windows 7-based laptops. In fact, compared to the Windows-based systems on the PPBM5 results list, the Macbook Pro would have run as slow as or slower than some of the old Intel Core 2 Duo desktops on that list although PPBM5 isn't currently compatible with OS X.

• 3. Re: Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?
              mistalovalovaa

Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed reply.

I really had hoped a macbook pro would be good for me. As I think I might need a mac.

Will look at those laptops and read on it a bit.

The mac forums seem a bit biased towards this, they all said this laptop would be absolutely fine.

Cheers!

• 4. Re: Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?
                mistalovalovaa Level 1

Wow... that's grim had I went for a macbook last night.

Still grim when you take into consideration the prices in which those macbooks demand.

A question to quench my curiousity, why does Adobe need Nvidia from all GPU cards available in the market?

I

• 5. Re: Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?
                  RjL190365 Level 4

One thing: GPU acceleration. Premiere Pro CS5.x still does not support OpenCL (the API used for GPU acceleration in ATi/AMD GPUs); therefore, systems with ATi/AMD GPUs will run only in software-only mode which is much slower than the CUDA GPU-accelerated mode. The GPU-accelerated mode supports only those Nvidia GPUs that have CUDA support (this basically means Nvidia GPUs that have hardware support for DirectX 10 or DirectX 11 - the GeForce 8 or later series, so long as the local video memory is at least 896MB).

• 6. Re: Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?
                    Islanders66 Level 1

Only the 1 7'' MBP has an express slot that could be used for esata drive. A lot of MBP owners put an hard drive in the optical bay. But who knows if there will be a bug or a glitch with these kind of work arounds? The thunderbolt will be an option but who knows when the TB hard drives will be available and how much they will cost. MBP also don't have USB 3. So there are all kind of limitations that have been indetified above. However, if you are interested in FCP X then that would be a good option for a lot of poeple and I"m sure it will be successful.

I have a Mac laptop and use Macs all the time with FCP. I also built a Windows PC at home and it's been very solid with Windows 7.

• 7. Re: Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Take a look at the ASUS G74SX series.  If you do not need a Firewire connection they are my current favorite if I could afford a new laptop.  They are availble from Best Buy, TigerDirect, Newegg (3 models) and many others.  Those three have dealer specific different configurations and it is an realtively easily modified laptop that you can upgrade things like RAM and disk drives yourself, there is even a YouTube video showing you how.  They have room for two internal disk drives and a full complement (16 GB) of RAM.  They have an nVidia GTX 560M which is compatible with the MPE requirements.  They come with either a 1920 x 1080 or 1600 x 900 screen.  If you are not happy with any of the off-the-shelf solutions probably the best thing is to go to ADK for their custom designed guaranteed Premiere Pro compatible solutions.

• 8. Re: Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?
                        mistalovalovaa Level 1

Seems like ADK is offering a macbook pro, the older model that sports a geforce GT 330M. I'm assuming that it would be adobe compatible then, no?

I hope so, I found on ebay a few macbook pros with gefoce GT 330M, problem is they are 512GB, not 1GB which I'm assuming is the minimum.

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

• 9. Re: Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?
                          RjL190365 Level 4

Unfortunately, that 2010 Macbook Pro is still below Adobe's minimum requirements. MPE GPU acceleration mode require a minimum of 765MB of free unused graphics RAM in order to even work at all. Unfortunately, 512MB is well short of the 896MB practical minimum; in fact, with the OS using up some of that graphics RAM, there would have been less than 500MB of free unused graphics RAM available.

Also, that mobile i7 in that 2010 Macbook pro is not a true i7. The dual-core design is a giveaway that it is really a mobile i5 that's branded i7. In fact, that last-generation MBP is an Arrandale CPU-based system that performs slower than some of the newer-generation budget systems (desktop or laptop).

• 10. Re: Would a Macbook Pro 2011 suffice?
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's lots of good information about what components matter for performance here:

FAQ: What computer and components should I buy for Premiere Pro or After Effects?