4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 2:05 PM by scottfrizzle

After Effects markers to Flash Cue Points

scottfrizzle Level 1

I'm working on a project that invlolves tracking footage using Mocha AE, bringing the corner pin data into After Effects, and finally converting that data into layer makers so that it can be read as cue points in Flash.  The Flash guy I'm working with is creating an automated system in Flash that will composite images over the footage I'm tracking using my exported FLV's with metadata .  We've had a certain amount of success but there are some lingering issues that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. 

1) Is there any way to see all the data that is stored in a particular layer marker (this is after running the "convert selected properties to layer markers" script.)  When I click on a layer marker it shows the cue point data at the bottom, but there are only 3 spaces for data, and I know I've been able to export a lot more than 3 paramerters of data into Flash per cue point.  There seems to be no way to expand the window to display more data.

2) Transparency data in the layer markers seems to cause all sorts of issues when it is interpreted in Flash.  At first I tried using simple hold keyframes for opacity, and have also tried linear keyframes, and generating a keyframe for every frame of video, and each time the results are unpredictable.  The in and out points' opacity values for any particular layer seem to be correct, but in between that there seem to be random opacity values in the cue data on the Flash side.  Is there a way to reliably get transparency data into Flash via the FLV (with metadata) format?

3) Is there a way to change the order of how data is listed in the layer markers?  I've tried selecting individual paramerters in a certain order and running the layer marker script, but the cue point data seems to be ordered the same way each time.

4) We seem to be running up against a limit of how much cue point data Flash can ingest in an FLV, but we have not seen any documentation regarding this.  Does anyone know if there is a set limit?  Right now we're either splitting up the clips into smaller pieces or reducing the amount of data on the Flash side, but if there's an actual limit it would be nice to know so we can work around it.

Any other tips that might help save some time in this process would be most welcome.

Thanks!

-scott

• 1. Re: After Effects markers to Flash Cue Points
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Is there a way to reliably get transparency data into Flash via the FLV (with metadata) format?

Don't think so. It's inherent in how Flash calculates opacity/ transparency. Something with normalizing/ quantizing the opacity for the entire stage and changing Alpha values. You'd have better luck exporting an XFL and copying the keyframes manually to the respecticve layers in Flash and/or you have someone write an XML parsing script to pull them directly in.

Is there any way to see all the data that is stored in a particular layer marker (this is after running the "convert selected properties to layer markers" script.)

Read this article on how to access marker data with expressions, then create an expression on a text layer's source text property. Off hand I'm not sure about the individual field names in the markers, but I'm sure it's easy enough to figure out.

Is there a way to change the order of how data is listed in the layer markers?

Not that I know. Unfortunately the fields are hardwired, not custom XMP. Still, should not be a problem - you can no doubt easily reorder everything when importing in Flash, it may just prolong parsing when a script is involved...

Does anyone know if there is a set limit?

The file format specs don't state anything, which means there can be one for every frame, if you assume that what is not exclusively ruled out is possible otherwise...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects markers to Flash Cue Points
            scottfrizzle Level 1

Thanks Mylenium, this is very helpful!

• 3. Re: After Effects markers to Flash Cue Points
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use the XFL export fairly often. It's not perfect but you can get the essential keyframe date into flash and replace assets easily thus reducing the overall size of a project considerably. A project we worked on last fall went from about 5 GB exported from AE by the original designer as a FLV to about 900kb after I exported the same AEP as XFL and some of the assets were replaced with shapes and png files. It took about an hour to fix up the project in Flash.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: After Effects markers to Flash Cue Points
                scottfrizzle Level 1

Thanks Rick, I think we're going to explore the XFL route for sure.