5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 1:59 PM by Dave LaRonde

Creating a box around Video in AE?

Rkenosha Level 1

Sorry for the two questions this evening. It is late in Wisconsin and we are all unable to sleep after the Packer victory. WOuld one use a mask to create and bounding box around a video or still for that matter> Or is there some othe technique that one would use?

Thanks Roman

• 1. Re: Creating a box around Video in AE?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to crop a portion of the video then a mask would do it. I'm assuming you mean crop when you say bounding box. If you want to add a frame then there are a bunch of options including Stroke, a masked solid above the video layer, Shape layers and other things.

• 2. Re: Creating a box around Video in AE?
            Rkenosha Level 1

Dear Rick,

Thank you for the reply. What I did is created a 3d box and put video on the sides. I would like to put a simple, perhaps more creating border areound each of the videos on the box sides. Obviously they are squares..

Do you do this when you precompose, or in some way after?

Thganks again Roman

• 3. Re: Creating a box around Video in AE?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

You can do it all in one layer.

1. Make a square mask (shift-drag) and reposition it if necessary by double-clicking on the mask & moving it.
              2. Apply the Stroke effect.
              3. Want a semi-3D look to it?  Use the Bevel Alpha effect; make its width the same as your stroke width.

And there shouldn't have been any final-play goal-line stand: the ref was out of position to call interference on the previous TD attempt. The game should have been over at that point.

• 4. Re: Creating a box around Video in AE?
                Rkenosha Level 1

Thanks everyone for your answers. Here is one issue. The face of the cube is square. The video I am putting on the face is rectangular. So the Video bounding box is rectangular. I would need to make this mask the size of the box and not the video otherwise if I bevel or do something like that, it will work on the video soze instead of the face of the box? Let me know if this makes sense.

P.S. Yes I think the game was over with the blocked pass!

Roman

• 5. Re: Creating a box around Video in AE?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

A 3D box? Missed that one.  Make a square-pixel comp in the horizontal & vertical resolution of your choice.  Position & scale the video inside the comp to create one face of your cube.  Do it 5 more times to make the other faces of the cube.