4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 6:26 AM by TheeOldeSeaDubb

voice synchronization with text(words) in flash

vplusvw

I am trying to synch voice over with words for 10 page flash document. whats the best way?

• 1. Re: voice synchronization with text(words) in flash
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Without seeing your movie's layout, its difficult to say. One very simple method for synching audio to animation is to place the audio into the timeline. Depending on the audio that you are using, this can make for a very long timeline.

It is easier to work with short sound files, so, if you can, chop up the audio file(s) into manageable chunks. With the audio stretched out along the timeline, you can then place frame markers along the timeline at key points so that you can lay out your animation.

When you are working in any given section, set the audio file to "stream" and you can scrub through the audio. Be sure to set the audio back to "event" when you finish with each one.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: voice synchronization with text(words) in flash
            vplusvw Level 1

From the audio waveform, is there a method to automatically detect the start & end time of each word pronounced? Our text is very long. We do not want to manually cut the audio files.               
            Attached is our project page. Sorry it is not in English. But observe that the pages are text intensive and we have many pages for each topic. Can you suggest anything?

voicesyncwithtext.JPG                                       

• 3. Re: voice synchronization with text(words) in flash
              TheeOldeSeaDubb

Well, let's just say that I'm working on a project that's very similar to what you are doing.  The approach that I have settled on is that I lay out the text pages, pretty much the same as what you have done, then I read the text ( recording my voice using Adobe Audition ).  I then take the recorded audio stream into Flash, using it only as a timing reference.  I am using opaque white rectangles ( revealers ) to cover the individual words or phrases of the text image, and then at the appropriate time I use a classic tween to smoothly change the opacity ( alpha ) of the revealers from 100% down to 0%.  I have discovered a lot of handy little tricks that I could share with you later on, if this is of interest to you, but this is the basic idea.

By the way, I found it very useful to expand ( thicken ) the timeline layer that contains the audio stream.  That makes it much easier to see the lumps containing the words.  This will give you an idea what that looks like :

lumpy waves.png

The way to make it thick like that, is to right click on the layer name and select the properties line.  That brings up a dialog box that looks like this :

layer props dialog.png

You're looking for the Layer height list box at the bottom.  It defaults to 100%, set it to 300%.

Once I am satisfied with the revealing of the text segments, I then export the swf file with no audio content.  I import each of the swf files into Adobe Premier and place them sequentially along a single line.  I also import the audio files and place them end to end in another single line.  Here is what the beginning of those two lines looks like :

premier time line.png

I agree with what was said already about keeping the flash movie segments rather short.  It appears that there are problems with trying to do too much all at once.  How long does it take you to read a page?  I think my longest page took less than 2 1/2 minutes.  That is the purpose of Premier, to assemble the pieces.

I found out early on, that if you export the swf file with audio included, Premier ignores the audio anyone, so save yourself the time and the disk space and export without audio.

One additional comment, is that I am underlaying the voice-over with quiet soothing music.  It appears that you are reading children's stories, is that correct?  Appropriate music might also be a good idea on your project.  That's one place where Addition and Premier came to my rescue in a very big way.  It's a very easy matter to slice even continuous sounds like music and splice them back together again in a way that you cannot tell the difference.

Regarding durations, the movie that I just finished is about fifty minutes long and Premier handled it without a glitch.  One of my next ones will take approximately 80 minutes and I expect things to go well there also.  So you build short movie segments in Flash, either short or medium size audio segments in Audition, then you assemble them in Premier and export the video.  By the way I am using the f4v format, I think that's what they call mpeg-4.

That's probably enough for starters.  See if this does you any good.

• 4. Re: voice synchronization with text(words) in flash
                TheeOldeSeaDubb Level 1

I have provided a somewhat extended explanation of my methods here :

how to find the timing in audio