7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 4:44 AM by De Pascalis

Batch export layer combinations

De Pascalis Level 1

I asked this in the Indesign forum but was redirected here.

I need a script or a plugin to export layer  combinations. Let’s say i have these layers; 1, 2, 3, A, B, C & X,  and need to combine and export them as follows:

1AX

1BX

1CX

2AX

2BX

2CX

with  an option for the file naming, for example [custom text][layer 1][layer  A][layer X][custom text][.PDF] (Text 1 A X Text.PDF)

Is there any tool that could help me?

I’m  using CS5.5 and the only thing I’ve found is "Page Exporter Utility"  but it doesn’t work as I want and it’s a bit buggy in CS5.5.

• 1. Re: Batch export layer combinations
          Reffi

I have a similar problem.

I'm working with multilanguage documents which I would like to batch convert into separate pdf files.

Here is an example:

Layer 1: Graphics

Layer 2: Photos

Layer 3: English text

Layer 4: Danish text

Layer 5: German text

Layer 6: Dutch text

etc.

etc.

I have always made the pdf export manually - like this:

Translation 1

1. making the graphics layer visible

2. making the photos layer visible

2. choosing the language/translation I want to use and making the layer visible

3. exporting as pdf

Translation 1

1. making the graphics layer visible

2. making the photos layer visible

2. choosing the language/translation I want to use and making the layer visible

3. exporting as pdf

And this will continue with all the available languages – sometimes it’s more than 20 different language combinations per InDesign file L

I’m searching for a script, plugin or whatever which can handle this automatically.

I would like to pre-set the combination of the layers, the pdf settings and the file names when exporting

When making a change in one of the “standard layers” like graphics or photos it would really be a help if I would be able to batch export new, updated files with the click of a button J

Any suggestions?

(I'm using InDesign CC 2015.2 version)

• 2. Re: Batch export layer combinations
            De Pascalis Level 1

That's exactly what I still need the script for, unfortunately I haven't found a solution. I still use the same method as you do but I have one layer for graphics and photos that all my language layers share. This slow approach makes me put updates of the documents on hold.

Please update this thread if you find a solution.

• 3. Re: Batch export layer combinations
              Reffi Level 1

I have found the perfect tool called "Output Factory" http://zevrix.com/outputfactory.php

But it's only for Mac and I'm using Windows

• 4. Re: Batch export layer combinations
                De Pascalis Level 1

Same here. I haven't looked into this issue since I started this thread, maybe there's a solution available now.

I remember now that I used a free plugin called Page Exporter Utility. Though it seems that PEU haven't been updated for a while so it doesn't work in Indesign CC, which is sad, I liked that script.

• 5. Re: Batch export layer combinations
                  De Pascalis Level 1

It seems like some people got PEU to work in CC, look at this thread Just upgraded to InDesign CC. Where is the Page Exporter Utility?

• 6. Re: Batch export layer combinations
                    Reffi Level 1

You are my hero

The script works perfectly and does all the "things" I want it to do.

Now I'm able to sit back and relax while the computer does all the boring work.

And thanks to Scott Zanelli for creating this script.

• 7. Re: Batch export layer combinations
                      De Pascalis Level 1

I just noticed that I started this thread because of PEU and that it stopped working, I need to take another look at it now when it seems to be functioning again.