6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 2:54 PM by rbsiv

tips on deepening shadows in a clip?

rbsiv

I'm curious about the best combination of effects for deepening blacks and the other darkest areas of a clip whilst leaving the lighter areas relatively untouched. I have a bunch of material where the general brightness levels are perfect, save for washed-out 'blacks' that appear more dark gray at the moment. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: tips on deepening shadows in a clip?
          sacha_G

The three-way color corrector can help you here as there are separate controls for Highlights/Midtones/Shadows

- Just select the shadow option and you can adjust the input/output and gamma to suit. You can also adjust the range of dark to light that is affected in the shadow range:

• 2. Re: tips on deepening shadows in a clip?
            ExactImage Level 3

In addition to the Thrre-Way-Color you can also use the Luma curves effect (GPU accelerated as well).

We would generally add Luma Curves to DSLR footage, as an exmaple.

• 3. Re: tips on deepening shadows in a clip?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd probably just use the Fast Color Corrector and bring up the Input Level till the blacks reached 0 IRE.

• 4. Re: tips on deepening shadows in a clip?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

+1 on Luma Curves... or more specifically, +1 on RGB Curves. It does everything that Luma Curves does plus give you chroma control as well. That's convenient, since if you have to adjust the color of a shot (to a certain extent), you can do so with one effect rather than two or more. With CUDA acceleration, it's not too much of an issue, but my general feeling is that less is more whenever possible.

• 5. Re: tips on deepening shadows in a clip?
                  sacha_G Level 1

Quoting Colin Brougham <forums@adobe.com>:

+1 on Luma Curves... or more specifically, +1 on RGB Curves. It does 

everything that Luma Curves does plus give you chroma control as  

well. That's convenient, since if you have to adjust the color of a  

shot (to a certain extent), you can do so with one effect rather  

than two or more. With CUDA acceleration, it's not too much of an  

issue, but my general feeling is that less is more whenever possible.

>

Interestingly (and I only just spotted this myself) there is a Luma 

Correction plugin (CUDA) which does this too (CC without the color 

section) - but you do need to bear in mind that the two plugins 

(curves vs CC/LC) work in different ways and will give you different 

results. Try both and use whichever looks best.

Another tip while you're at it - it's useful to have a waveform 

monitor panel setup so you can see where your shadows are ending up 

and not getting crushed out of existence.

• 6. Re: tips on deepening shadows in a clip?
                    rbsiv Level 1

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Been doing a little trial & error, looks like the Three Way CC will suit my purposes for these.