8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2011 1:16 AM by imacken

CMYK Values in InDesign different to Corel?

imacken Level 1

This is probably a stupid question, but..

I had to recreate a document in ID which had been created in Corel Draw, and the CMYK colour values don't seem to translate correctly.

For example, a colour in CD has 0,60,60,40 and 153,0,0 RGB.  If I create a swatch in ID with 0,60,60,40, the red colur is way off compared to what I wanted - much lighter.

However, if I create a swatch with the RGB values (153,0,0), the colour looks pretty much correct. (Gamut issues aside.)

Can someone explain this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: CMYK Values in InDesign different to Corel?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

ID has superior color management (IMO) to CorelDRAW and the preview will likely be far more accurate in ID. CMYK colors are never going to be all that vibrant.

Bob

• 2. Re: CMYK Values in InDesign different to Corel?
            imacken Level 1

Thanks Bob.

I'm a little perplexed about all this.

Surely, a CMYK value is a CMYK value!  The rendition of the color on screen in Corel is very close to how the colour prints.  Now, I haven't tried printing the doc from ID, but on-screen it is way off.

What I don't understand is why the colour is being rendered on screen so differently.  CM is switched off in Corel.

• 3. Re: CMYK Values in InDesign different to Corel?
              Petteri_Paananen Level 4

It sounds you are very lucky if you have close match between printed and on-screen materials in Corel with color management off!

I don´t believe I´m saying this to anyone but here it comes; try to switch color management off in InDesign as well... this is pobably the worst piece of instruction ever but what the heck... you can always set it back on...

More likely you should use Color Management in InDesign and change the CMYK working space to match your workflow.

• 4. Re: CMYK Values in InDesign different to Corel?
                imacken Level 1

Thanks.

I get the same washed out colour if I set CM to on in both CD and ID.  So, I guess it makes more sense.

So, I guess it was just down to my total lack of awareness of the CM settings.  Thanks a lot for your pointers.

• 5. Re: CMYK Values in InDesign different to Corel?
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Surely, a CMYK value is a CMYK value!

I'm not a corel draw user but a quick search for corel draw color management shows me that the most recent version includes a close imitation of Adobe's CM where a document can have an RGB and CMYK profile assigned which will drive the display of color:

www.corel.com/content/pdf/cdgsx5/Color_Management_Guide.pdf

In both cases the display of a CMYK value will be dependent on the CMYK profile you have assigned to the document (in ID default is US Web Coated SWOP). Try changing the CMYK assignment (Edit>Assign Profiles...) and the display of your CMYK colors will change. Same goes for RGB. Change the RGB assignment and your 153|0|0 RGB color will be displayed differently.

Rather than turning CM off, you could start by using the same profiles. Both applications have a default North American Prepress preset which roughly match each other:

Screen shot 2011-09-09 at 12.20.54 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-09-09 at 12.21.32 PM.png

• 6. Re: CMYK Values in InDesign different to Corel?
                    imacken Level 1

Thanks a lot Rob. I appreciate the reply.

Corel is version X3, not the latest, and it doesn't have those options. It only has options descibed as 'default', 'for professional production', 'for desktop printing' or 'for web'.

Incidentally, my ID is set to 'Europe General Purpose 2' by default.

• 7. Re: CMYK Values in InDesign different to Corel?
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      Incidentally, my ID is set to 'Europe General Purpose 2' by default.

If you have a well calibrated and profiled display, then ID is softproofing your CMYK color as it would print to an offset press profiled to Coated FOGRA27, and RGB colors preview as sRGB. To get an accurate display of CMYK you need to know the print destination (is it Coated FOGRA27?) and assign the appropriate profile to your documents. Try switching the assigned profile (Edit>Assign Profiles) to something like US Sheetfed Coated and you'll see your CMYK colors display darker.

It looks like Corel Draw x3 still gives you the ability to choose RGB and CMYK profiles, so you might be able to match color management to your ID settings. In Corel Draw try loading Coated FOGRA27 as your Separations printer profile (Color Mangement>Profiles) and sRGB as your Internal RGB profile.

• 8. Re: CMYK Values in InDesign different to Corel?
                        imacken Level 1

Thanks again, Rob.  I'll look into this.