4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 6:05 PM by seeminky12

Grey bar preceeding and sometimes surrounding text

seeminky12

Good morning,

I will periodically have a grey bar immediately in front a line of text inside of a text box or it will sometimes surround the text (as though a background color is set, but there's not). Seen below in the screenshot, the bar of which I speak is just in front of the ASDF. When the text is deleted (text box is empty), the grey bar disappears. The moment a character is inserted, it reappears. Centered or Justified seems to have no effect. Neither does padding or indent. This has happened before and I've shrugged it off and worked around it. I might as well figure out what I'm doing wrong... I think that I've checked all the obvious areas (text box properties, table properties, cell properties, stroke, etc.)...

Grey.jpg

Adjusting settings for Greeking appears to have no effect. All of my text settings in Preferences are normal and I played around with a few with no results.

There is no wrap applied and no spaces (it is center justified). As you can see in the second screenshot, left justification has no effect on the anomaly. As you can see by the cursor, though, it seems tied to the height of the line of text. Although, adjusting text size or height also has no effect...

Grey02.jpg

Thanks for any help!!!

-Chad

• 1. Re: Grey bar preceeding and sometimes surrounding text
          peter minneapolis Level 4

seeminky12 wrote:

Good morning,

I will periodically have a grey bar immediately in front a line of text inside of a text box or it will sometimes surround the text (as though a background color is set, but there's not). Seen below in the screenshot, the bar of which I speak is just in front of the ASDF. When the text is deleted (text box is empty), the grey bar disappears. The moment a character is inserted, it reappears. Centered or Justified seems to have no effect. Neither does padding or indent. This has happened before and I've shrugged it off and worked around it. I might as well figure out what I'm doing wrong... I think that I've checked all the obvious areas (text box properties, table properties, cell properties, stroke, etc.)...

Grey.jpg

Adjusting settings for Greeking appears to have no effect. All of my text settings in Preferences are normal and I played around with a few with no results.

There is no wrap applied and no spaces (it is center justified). As you can see in the second screenshot, left justification has no effect on the anomaly. As you can see by the cursor, though, it seems tied to the height of the line of text. Although, adjusting text size or height also has no effect...

Grey02.jpg

Thanks for any help!!!

-Chad

If it behaves like a text attribute, it may be a strikethrough or underline set for the paragraph style used in the cell. The attribute may be defined in the main paragraph settings, or in a nested or GREP style.

Turning on Text > Show Hidden Characters might help understanding what's happening. Perhaps there's a tab stop set.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Grey bar preceeding and sometimes surrounding text
            Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

It could be a paragraph rule, check both rule above and rule below to see if one is applied.

• 3. Re: Grey bar preceeding and sometimes surrounding text
              seeminky12 Level 1

There was a rule set above and below in the paragraph style called Section Header, which is apparently the default. Wow, what a relief to finally know; I can't believe I never looked there. Thank you!

• 4. Re: Grey bar preceeding and sometimes surrounding text
                seeminky12 Level 1

This wasn't exactly the issue, but it got me looking in the right area. Thank you so much!