5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 11:51 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Apply Warp Stabilizer to multiple comps?

tehshawn_USFT

I shoot mostly with a DSLR on a rig and end up stabilizing most of my footage in AE. However, because of the amount of clips I shoot, It takes a very long to time to apply Warp Stabilizer to each clip before fine tuning them and batch rendering everything. Is there a way to apply the Warp Stabilizer effect to multiple comps at once, even it it anylizes each comp one by one? Something I can start, let process over night and fine tune the next day?

• 1. Re: Apply Warp Stabilizer to multiple comps?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Who says you can't apply Warp Stabilizer to all the clips, save the project, hit Render and go to sleep?

And I have a great method for eliminating most of the need for Warp Stabilizer in the first place: a tripod with a fluid head.

• 2. Re: Apply Warp Stabilizer to multiple comps?
            tehshawn_USFT Level 1

I don't need to render it out, I need to apply Warp Stabilizer to all the clips I have at once instead of having to wait for it to analyze each comp one by one. Rendering comes after Warp has been applied, which I do walk away from.

And fluid head tripods are great, but negate the freedom and style of a handheld shot, which most of my work requires.

• 3. Re: Apply Warp Stabilizer to multiple comps?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, you COULD precomp a bunch of shots, then apply a "one size fits all" Warp Stabilizer setting, which is what you'd have to do, but I wouldn't do it. Warp Stabilizer is intended to do as little harm as possible to an INDIVIDUAL SHOT, which is the reason for all the settings.

To do what you seek, you'd have to settle for the lowest common denominator setting, which means some shots would look okay, some would look pretty bad, and some might turn out great. But that's not the worst thing: if you did so, you would then be limited to using the precomp as your footage source.  Sure, you could duplicate the comp and set each duplicate's work area to an individual shot, but that doesn't sound like any fun to me.  And the quality of the individual shots would be spotty.

And fluid head tripods are great, but negate the freedom and style of a handheld shot, which most of my work requires.

...for which you pay dearly in post-production time.  If that's the way you like to work, then knock yourself out, I guess.

• 4. Re: Apply Warp Stabilizer to multiple comps?
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Not sure I properly understand you, but technically you can...

E.g.

- grab all your footages and place them into one comp

- apply Warp Stabilizer onto each layer - you DON'T HAVE TO WAIT until it finishes analysing one footage before applying filter onto another

- take a bath and get to bed

- watch nice dreams

- get up in the morning and check if Warp Stabilizer finished its job

- pre-compose every layer, moving all attributes into

- tweak all footages further, including stabilisation settings...

It obviously depends on your working environment, but if it were me, I'd NEVER apply any stabilisation onto the whole footage (as well as NEVER utilise "one size fits all" settings as Dave afraided you'd want to...) - just on a particular cut in a movie timeline with certain settings...

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Apply Warp Stabilizer to multiple comps?
                  tehshawn_USFT Level 1

I hadn't thought of that, I'll give it a try with it all in one comp. I have been opening up each clip in a new comp and applying WS to each comp individually, which is why it has been so time consuming.