2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2006 12:30 PM by Simulacrum_

Flash Calendar question

Simulacrum_ Level 1
      My boss has challenged me with a new project and I am a little unsure of where to start.

I have been asked to design a form in which users request blocks of time (such as Monday/Wednesday 9:15-10:30). He then wishes for there to be an online calendar that shows which time blocks have already been requested.

This is a bit further than I have gone in Flash before. I know I can build the calendar and the form, but my question is, how will I make the calendar "remember" the requests that have already been made from user to user? XML? PHP? Any recommendations, no matter how vague, would be most appreciated!
        • 1. Re: Flash Calendar question
          Level 7

"Simulacrum_" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ej07qb$rjo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > My boss has challenged me with a new project and I am a little unsure of
          > where
          > to start.
          >
          > I have been asked to design a form in which users request blocks of time
          > (such
          > as Monday/Wednesday 9:15-10:30). He then wishes for there to be an online
          > calendar that shows which time blocks have already been requested.
          >
          > This is a bit further than I have gone in Flash before. I know I can build
          > the
          > calendar and the form, but my question is, how will I make the calendar
          > "remember" the requests that have already been made from user to user?
          > XML?
          > PHP? Any recommendations, no matter how vague, would be most appreciated!

How you store the data is your own choice. I like to use either a
          relational database (MySQL) or an object database (Zope). You can also save
          the data to text files as plain text or marshaled strings or any other thing
          you can dream up.

The key here is that you will need to write an interfacing program in some
          language such as the previously mentioned PHP, though I prefer almost
          anything to PHP. If you use PHP I would recommend using the SepySerializer
          class available at www.sephiroth.it (great resource) to turn PHP Serialized
          objects into native flash objects. Though you can also use data in XML
          format and use the XML class to parse the data.

How you get the data into flash is again a decision that needs to be made.
          Available options include using the LoadVars, LoadVariable,
          LoadVariablesNum, XML or XMLSocket classes built in to Flash. In your case
          I suggest using the LoadVars class, particularly the sendAndLoad method
          (like its name implies, it can both send and load data.)

Final recommendation: use MySQL database, LoadVars class and Python, Perl,
          C, Ruby, ColdFusion or anything else you can besides PHP : )

• 2. Re: Flash Calendar question
            Simulacrum_ Level 1
            Wow! Thank you very much for the in-depth response. I have a few PHP resources available to me, so I think I will go that route, although it is against your advice..

Other than that I will follow your advice to the letter. Thanks again for taking the time to respond so well to my question, I am very appreciative.