9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 9:52 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9 crashing my system

rechafe@rogers.com

I am having a major problem with Premiere elements 9.  Every time I open a project and want to add clips to my project or if I am working on a project to edit the material my computer is crashing on me.  I have contacted Adobe about this problem and after a technician working on my computer for about 5 hours she could not solve the problem..  The problem has been elevated to a higher   level but I have not heard from them as yet. Can anyone help me with this problem?  I have also posted this problem on the  Muvipix forum.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing my system
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you please tell us more about your system and media?

What operating system are you using? How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, clean, defragmented space is on your C drive?Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, per the program's requirements?

Are you editing on single hard drive, or are you working on a second or external hard drive?

Do you regularly clear your tmp files, tune your registry and clean off you spyware? If you've got a Windows machine, do you manually go to Windows Update to ensure you have even the non-critical updates?

What type of camcorder is your video coming from? When you start your Premiere Elements project, which settings do you select?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing my system
            rechafe@rogers.com Level 1

Steve

Thank you so much for your reply.  I am attaching a system info file which

may answer what you need to know about my system. I will try to answer your

questions as requested

My operating system is Windows 7

Memory 6GB

Processor speed 240-GHz

Free space on hard drive 440GB

I have the latest version of Quick Time

I am editing from a single hard drive but I do have an external hard drive

for back up

I clean up my disk daily

I run a full system scan weekly using Norton Internet Security

I periodically run Ccleaner  To clean out cookies and  to clean registry

I have windows update on automatic update and check the updates each time it

runs

My video is transferred from my canon sx30 IS camera to my hard drive and

then imported to Premiere Elements 9

The settings I use NTSC-AVCHD-AVCHD Lite720p30

If you need more information let me know.

-

Original Message

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing my system
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Processor speed 240-GHz

Is that an i3 or i5 or i7 processor?

AVCHD requires a LOT of computing power... so if you have less than an i7 you are not going to be happy

You also need at least 2 hard drives... separate physical drives, never a partition

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
              1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
              2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files
              3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)
              (*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files
              Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file
              http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US
              Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
              You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
              Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
              You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
              A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
              You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
              I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
              Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing
              Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
              A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers
              http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing my system
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I have to assume your system has a multiple processor, right? You don't say, but it's most likely you have a dual core or even quad core processor. And, if that's the case, you have enough power.

I'm not sure why you're not using a DSLR project setting for working with video from a DSLR. Have you tried that?

But that's not likely the reason you're having such serious instability issues.

The presence of Norton software can, for instance, cause so many problems that a lot of computer people remove it like it was a virus. So that could be part of the problem. But that's up to you to decide if the benefits are worth the effort of removing it.

You also don't say how you're cleaning your drives daily, but I assume you're using trustworthy software to do this.

So it's hard to say for sure what's going on. It's certainly nothing obvious. And, unfortunately, it's pretty doubtful that we're going to be able to troubleshoot on this forum what a computer pro couldn't do in 6 hours. So, sorry. With no obvious problems, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. Maybe someone else can. Sorry.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing my system

Steve

I have tried to post this on the web site but I cannot get it accept the

submit command> I am therefore placing it here

Ron

Steve

Thank you for your email response

My processor is Intel(R) Core ((TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.40 GHz, 2400 MHz 4

Core (S), Logical Processor (S)

I am cleaning my hard drives with MS7 Clean Disk which comes with the

program.

I tried using DSLR. I set the settings at DSLR-7220p-DSLR-720p24-@23976 but

when I tried to start the project it told me to change my project to match

my clips. I guess I do not really understand that part of the program as

yet.

I regret that I will be unable to get any technical assistance in the forum

but I do appreciate both you and John's assistance. I will await hearing

from Adobe to see what they say and that is not positive I will have to

bring the computer to Best Buy to see what they can do.

John

I read your response but to be honest my technical knowledge is not at a

level that I really understand what is being said about the hard drives. do

you mean that I should get another external HD and install the program there

and use that drive exclusively for editing photos and still pictures?

I will read the referenced posting by Steve Grisetti and John Simon and see

what I can learn about this.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing my system

Testing to see if I can submit

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing my system

I guess I was supposed to reply to the original message and I was trying to reply o yur input.  Live and learn with time

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing my system

Hi Folks

I have discovered the reason why my system has been crashing.  One  of the files in my project was corrupt.  I removed that file and the system now appears to be working fine.  It took a lot of research before I discovered the problem.  I will work on it now for a few weeks to ensure it is all OK.  Thank you for your assistance.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing my system
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

A corrupt Asset file can cause all sorts of problems, from Projects not loading, or crashing the program. Glad that you found the culprit.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how things go.

Hunt