5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2011 8:11 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Linked AE clips lost in PPro?

JFKerns Level 1

Okay so I'm running into another stupid problem that probably has an easy fix.  So what I've been doing is putting video clips into my Premiere Pro project, trimming them and everything until they fit the slideshow, then right clicking on the clip and going to "Replace with After Effects Composition" so I can open it in AE and apply the Warp Stabilizer, etc.  It was working great, and I was really happy with it, until...  When I close it down and reopen it, it says "Media offline" for every one of the "linked" clips.  I tried relinking the clips in the project panel, and it will work for an individual clip, but it has to be open in AE to show up in PPro, so I can't load them all.  What am I doing wrong?  All I want is to be able to apply a few effects in AE (using Dynamic Link), and then just have them stay that way in PPro.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Linked AE clips lost in PPro?
          lasvideo Level 4

To insure that dynamic links between PrP always work, follow either one of these steps.

1. If no dynamic links exist in your timeline, right click on the  clip you want to send to AE  and select "Replace with AE compositions".  and AE will open . Continue this process while both PrP and AE are open.  See #2 when reopening that project.

2. When reopening a PrP project that already has dynamic links to an  AE project, IT IS CRUCIAL to select any of the existing AE DL clips ,  right click and select "Edit in Original".

This opens the existing AE Project that is already associated with the PrP project.

Then you can add clips to AE using "Replace with AE composition"

This procedure will avoid much heartache and frustration associated with dynamic links.

• 2. Re: Linked AE clips lost in PPro?
            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
            ...IT IS CRUCIAL...

It is NOT - has been proven too many times. It's just your personal choice
            ADL. Different AE comps.jpg

• 3. Re: Linked AE clips lost in PPro?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

It may not be critical, but things do seem to work better if all linked comps are in the same AE project.

• 4. Re: Linked AE clips lost in PPro?
                lasvideo Level 4

If there are other work flows that are effective...thats great. I just know what reliably works for me. If you prefer another way, more power to you. But I can assure anyone following this approach will not have any problems.

• 5. Re: Linked AE clips lost in PPro?
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Sorry Jim, can't go along with you on that.

On a pure basis - I don't see any advantages.

Yes, PrPro is able to read somehow AE cash files or whatever that allows to play on the fly some simple dynamically linked AE comps without rendering preview. However that ability evaporates right after more or less complex AE comp.

So there are actually NO dependency on how to start building Dynamic Links. It's possible to start from either PrPro or AE.

There are NO dependency on where to store dynamically linked comps. It's possible to store them either in one AE project or in several different ones, which is more appropriate solution when you need to get really complex AE comps or spread the job between colleagues.

What is more, it's possible to get both AE CS5 and AE CS5.5 comps in one PrPro CS5.5 project via Adobe Dynamic Link.