1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 9:52 AM by JimHess

Working with colour negative film

Steve8650

I have a large number (1000's) of images shot on 35mm colour negative film and I want to use LR to archive them.  My plan so far is to photograph the individual negs with my Sony A55, using a macro lens and a custom made jig, then import the raw files as .DNG's into Lightroom.  So far, so good.  This works well for a similar number of monochrome negatives that I have successfully archived.

However, I have been only partially successful in converting the colour negative images into viewable positives in LR - inverting the image is easy enough, but removing the colour mask seems to be beyond LR's capabilities. It is relatively easy to do the conversion in PS, but that adds another, quite time-consuming step to the process, and also, of course, means that there are now two files (.dng and .tif) for each negative, which significantly increases the storage requirements.

I have been reading about the DNG profile editor, and it seems to me that it might be possible to use this to create a profile that will more or less automatically convert a negative, colour masked image into a viewable positive.  I would dig out a film camera from the attic, photograph a colour checker chart on 35mm colour negative film, photograph the negative with the Sony A55 to get a raw file, then use the DNG Profile Editor on this file to produce a profile to both invert the image and remove the colour mask.

Is this a feasible idea?  Does the DNG profile allow such extreme adjustments?

Does anyone have any other ideas?  Any comments will be appreciated!

Steve Morton

• 1. Re: Working with colour negative film
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, it is probably feasible. You would just have to do a lot of trial and error shooting and processing until you get what you want. Have you considered using a scanner to do your negatives? I have a Canon 9000 that I use with Vuescan scanning software. That software will create DNG copies natively. In my opinion, it does a pretty good job.

Added later: additionally, the scanning software automatically compensates for the mask in the color negatives. This makes it a lot easier to create presets for DNG profiles.