2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2011 5:40 PM by Jay_Armstrong

Normal means to end TLF text edits has disappeared

TheeOldeSeaDubb

Something is broken in my Flash Professional CS5, and it's creating a real pain.  When I have finished editing a page of TLF text and want to return to the stage, I find the little left arrow Missing In Action.

I'd send you picture of it, but it can no longer be found.  Here is an image that I snagged from Adobe TV to give you a rough idea what I'm saying.  The difference is that when I was editing a text symbol, ( before it broke ) then its name would be where Scene 1 appears, and the arrow would be strongly visible ( dark blue? ) rather than grayed out like this one is.

text edit end left arrow.png

When this first happened it took a while to find any way at all of escaping the edit, but I finally found a really clunky way to get out.  I have to save then exit the entire .fla file edit session, then come back in and start over.

I'm running Flash Professional CS5 11.0.2.489, apparently 32 bit code under Windows 7 on a 64-bit i7 processor.

Not surprisingly, this creates a big problem for me, since I have a huge amount of work that must be done quickly.  I spent the money necessary to purchase what I thought was the best tool on the market, now I need some help to get it working again.

Has this happened to anyone else, and how can I fix it?

I thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Normal means to end TLF text edits has disappeared
          Jay_Armstrong Level 2

What happens if you just click outside the text box on the stage or the area surrounding the stage?

Could you post the steps to reproduce the issue staring with a new blank flash file?

• 2. Re: Normal means to end TLF text edits has disappeared
            Jay_Armstrong Level 2

Hi there Chuck,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm still not exactly sure what might be going on, but I'll give a couple things a try.

Create a fla file with a simple tlf text object on the stage, and also a symbol containing a text object. Here are the behaviors you should see with each:

Simple tlf text object on stage:

• Click once to select
            • Double click to edit
            • Click outside bounding box to finish editing
            • No "breadcrumb trail" will appear at the top of the document window

Symbol containing a tlf text symbol:

• Click once to select the symbol
            • Double click symbol to edit symbol (or choose right-click > edit in place. This puts you in symbol edit mode. But you will still have to double-click the text object within the symbol to edit the text
            • When in symbol edit mode, you will see the breadcrumb trail and the left arrow active at the top of the document window
            • When in symbol edit mode you still have to double-click the text object to begin editing it.
            • When in symbol edit mode, clicking on a blank part of the stage will finish editing the text object, but you will still be editing the symbol
            • To finish editing the symbol, double click a blank part of the stage or click the next higher level of the breadcrumb trail or click the left arrow which should be active.

Let me know if you are seeing behavior that is different from this, and if so, please do provide steps to reproduce for someone starting with a new blank flash file.