5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 4:24 PM by Keith_Clark

correct Anamorphic AR

Keith_Clark Level 2

so for the couple projects i've done where the final delivery was in Anamorphic, i did it one way...
      and the other day i was bored so i was just browsing all kinds of AE tuts, and while watching one, i saw where a guy did it another way. it puzzled me, i pulled up his method in AE and it did not mirror what i had done to beging with, before... so who is correct here?

the way i did it:
      opened up a 1280x720 comp, and adjusted the comp settings height to where it read the AR was 2.39, i then opened another comp in true 1280x720 with just a solid of black. i imported my 2.39 comp into that comp and encoded the project out. wouldnt that be right?

the tut i saw:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x16-QgaEopQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=147s

his comp is like.... 2.64:1 is *that* true anamorphic? have i done mine incorrectly?

• 1. Re: correct Anamorphic AR
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_format#2.35.2C_2.39_or_2.40.3F

Why would you be trusting some random thing on YouTube?

• 2. Re: correct Anamorphic AR
            Keith_Clark Level 2

heh, so in other words i was correct?

i already read that article before i even saw this blow-hard's video... but i was like "if he's gonna make a tut, wouldnt he want to be correct in all his info first? i would anyway" so that's what led to my doubt.

• 3. Re: correct Anamorphic AR
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> if he's gonna make a tut, wouldnt he want to be correct in all his info first?

If only that were true...

There is so terribly much incorrect, misleading garbage on YouTube---seemingly especially about After Effects. YouTube is great, but it's like most collections of people: lots and lots of crud mixed in with the good stuff.

If you want good resources about After Effects, start here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/02/after-effects-community-resour.html

When you run out (which you won't), then jump into the sewer that is YouTube.

• 4. Re: correct Anamorphic AR
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're delivering anamorphic content, and I mean true anamorphic content, then you must be going to a film printer to make a 35mm print for projection with anamorphic lenses. If that is the case then you must ask the folks that are running the film printer what they want in the way of frame size, PAR, color space, file format, and delivery media. If you don't ask the likelihood of hitting the right combination is very slim. I don't think you're trying to deliver anamorphic content, I think you're trying to deliver a letterboxed video that looks like it is anamorphic.

If you are just trying to deliver a 2:35 letter-boxed image for the web or for BluRay or DVD then you must work in one of the standard output frame sizes and crop or letter box your image to the right ratio. The rendered video must be one of the standard sizes. The letter-box can be anything you want. Use one of the standard pre-sets and then either crop or matte the image to the desired aspect ratio.

Any time you try and force a frame size into a different frame size by scaling the X or Y to fit you are playing with fire and are more likely than not going to end up with distorted images. The pixel aspect ratios and frame sizes available by preset are industry standards. Use them.

It used to be an industry standard to fill a video frame with active picture but that went away the first time a windscreen movie was broadcast with black bars at the top and bottom of the frame. You can letterbox to any picture ratio you'd like. The only problem you face when mixing formats is that you must be very careful not to reverse fields if you're mixing interlaced material. Mixing D1 and DV material is especially nasty and requires special care.

The tutorial you showed was a simple masking technique to create the Anamorphic look. Your technique of nesting a comp of different dimensions inside a standard comp size accomplishes the same thing except that it generates an alpha chanel if you choose to render to a codec that supports alphas. If your footage was interlaced to start with and you put it in a non standard composition, and you didn't separate fields to remove the interlacing, then there's a 50/50 chance you may reverse the field order in your render and really screw things up.

I hope this helps.

• 5. Re: correct Anamorphic AR
                  Keith_Clark Level 2

thanks. i didnt know that about the last paragraph. i'll keep that in mind in the future. i work strictly with  Digital source media, so i was going more for the letterboxed 'look" not true anamorphic film. but that really explained alot behind the scenes.

Rick Gerard wrote:

The tutorial you showed was a simple masking technique to create the Anamorphic look. Your technique of nesting a comp of different dimensions inside a standard comp size accomplishes the same thing except that it generates an alpha chanel if you choose to render to a codec that supports alphas. If your footage was interlaced to start with and you put it in a non standard composition, and you didn't separate fields to remove the interlacing, then there's a 50/50 chance you may reverse the field order in your render and really screw things up.

I hope this helps.