13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 11:36 PM by Noel Carboni

CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5

an_photographer Level 1

Hello!

I've been having an issue trying to get a few cr2 files to open in CS5. I have about 800 cr2 files and all will open but about 100. I can't figure out what the issue is with this group of images compared to the rest. They won't open in Bridge or Lightroom 3 either. Any thoughts or ideas on what I could do to remedy this issue?

Thanks for the help! I included a screenprint of the message I receive when trying to open one of the images.

Thanks,

Ashley

Screen Shot 2011-09-11 at 7.37.28 PM.png

• 1. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are these files that don't work from the same camera as the ones that work?  If so, then are they taken in a non-regular mode like medium-RAW or small-RAW?  Also, if so, then can you upload one of the ones that doesn't work to www.yousendit.com or www.dropbox.com and post the link, here, so others can try.

If the files that don't work are from a different camera, then each camera-model needs to be specifically supported by Camera RAW so if your camera is newer than ACR, then you have to wait for the next update.  What version of Camera RAW or Lightroom are you using?

The current released version of ACR is 6.4.1 is on http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/ and there is a beta version of ACR 6.5 at Adobe Labs:  http://labs.adobe.com/

Using the Updates... menu item in Photoshop you should be able to download and install the most recent update, but if that doesn't work, you can use the website, above.

• 2. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5
            an_photographer Level 1

Hi ssprengel!

Yes, they were all taken with the 7D all on the same day.

Here is the link to two of the images that won't open:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41396584/IMG_3124.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41396584/IMG_3091.CR2

I'm using the most recent versions of Camera Raw and Lightroom.

Thanks for your help!

Ashley

• 3. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5
              Noel Carboni Level 7

Your links don't work.

Did you read the files from the Compact Flash card through the camera (e.g., using a USB cable)?

Do NOT re-use your Compact Flash card until you resolve this issue.  The files may be recoverable if you read them another way.

You might be able to read them via a card reader.

-Noel

• 4. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5
                an_photographer Level 1

Sorry. Try these links: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41396584/IMG_3124.jpg & http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41396584/IMG_3091.CR2

When I click on the links it auto starts a download of the files. But then again, I can't open them because of whatever issues.

Hopefully those work.

Yes, I did transfer the files from my camera to my laptop using the USB. Unfortunately, the files are no longer on the SD Card.

Thanks,

Ashley

• 5. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5

My browser is set to automatically show a JPG so I cannot download that file, but the CR2 downloads ok.  ZIPping up the files and uploading them would have made it easier to download from an e-mail link.

Looking at the CR2 that downloaded ok, it appears to be completely corrupted--the usual RAW headers are no there, nor is a preview, just binary gibberish for the entire file, so something is likely wrong with the CF card or there was an error when the files were copied from the CF card to the computer.

Without being able to re-download the images from the card, you can't tell if the card is the problem or of the transfer process had an issue.

Abandoning the card, and using another, until you know if the corruption occurs again, would be the safest.

You should be using a card-reader to transfer the images to the computer, not a direct cable from the camera.

• 6. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5
                    an_photographer Level 1

so basically im screwed. crap. no options to recover at all?

• 7. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5

Worse that being screwed, is not knowing what is wrong so you can't fix it without guessing any maybe not guessing right.  Use a new CF card use a card-reader and maybe the situation won't happen, again, is the best you can do going forward.

As far as what to do for the photos from this set, if the card has not been reused completely, again, then you can try recovering the photos off the card, to see if any photos from the batch that doesn't work, remain, and see if they copy off any better the second time.  If they do copy off ok, then there is likely something wrong with the transfer process and less likely that it is the CF card.

The software I've used when I've accidentally deleted photos off the card when I shouldn't have, is PhotoRescue from www.DataRescue.com  I have one of the older versions so I'm not sure what it corresponds to with the newer set.  It costs money, but you can run a scan of the card, first, to see if it finds thumbnails of the images it is going to recover, but you have to pay before you can actually save off the photos it has found.

If you haven't used the card at all since you discovered the problem, meaning you've merely moved the photos off of it and it is now empty, perhaps even formatted, but no low-level formatted, then you have a good chance of being able to recover most of the photos--basically undelete them.  If you've shoot more photos over the top of the deleted ones or low-level formatted the card, the chance is lower than you'll be able to get the photos back.

• 8. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5
                        an_photographer Level 1

Awesome. That was my next question, if I could do a data recovery off the cards. I'll try that. Yeah, the other thing is I had used a couple different cards so it's gonna be fun trying to figure out which card these specific files where on. Geez. Sometimes we love and hate technology!

Yep, definately have learned my lesson. Card reader NEEDED!

Do you think it could have also been my USB ports that corupted the files? I ask only cause my laptop, at the time, started going to the pits. I was in a crunch to get all my files off the thing. I'm now using a Macbook and was hoping I'd be able to access the files with all new programs but no luck obviously.

Thanks for all your help! You've been super!

I'm off to try data recovery! Let's hope it works! If it does, YEAH! I'll owe ya!

• 9. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5
                          Noel Carboni Level 7

For what it's worth, I've always used my camera and USB connection to read out my image files myself (caveat:  I currently have a 40D, not a 7D) ever since 2000 when I bought Canon's first D30.  It's not a given that the files will be corrupted because of transferring them that way - I have never seen such corruption.

I only asked that question because a card reader DOES offer you the possibility of another way of reading the files, and sometimes data can be recovered that way.

-Noel

• 10. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5

To the OP, if memory cards haven't been re-used, then the recovery program may well be able to restore the images with their original filenames, making the matching of images less difficult, as long as you can generate a list of the corrupted ones with Bridge or Windows Explorer (Details view) or Finder if you're on a Mac, I forget.

About using the camera instead of a card reader, cameras, in general, have more drivers that might want to intervene or modes to connect via USB than a card-reader has, so while a particular set up might be just fine because it happens to work or you understand the issues enough to set it up the right way, in general there are more issues connecting to a camera than to a card-reader.

The second reason to use a card-reader instead of the camera is that you can replace a card-reader much more cheaply than a camera if something gets worn out or goes bad.  I'd rather leave my USB-connection on the camera for the occasional remote-control connection and have the wear-and-tear happen with my cheap reader and cheap card.  I've had to retire one card and two card-readers but my camera still works fine.

• 11. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5
                              Noel Carboni Level 7

ssprengel wrote:

The second reason to use a card-reader instead of the camera is that you can replace a card-reader much more cheaply than a camera if something gets worn out or goes bad.  I'd rather leave my USB-connection on the camera for the occasional remote-control connection and have the wear-and-tear happen with my cheap reader and cheap card.  I've had to retire one card and two card-readers but my camera still works fine.

Unfortunately, I'd rather wear out the USB connector than chance ruining the tiny little pins in the camera that plug into the CF card, so that argument only goes so far.  The USB connector parts seem larger and more substantial.

-Noel

• 12. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5

If you never shoot more than one CF card full at a time, sure.

• 13. Re: CR2 Files Not Recognized in Photoshop CS5
                                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Nowadays you can get some BIIIIG CF cards! 

Not too many months ago I went on a trip overseas (Tenerife, Canary Islands) and shot literally thousands of photos.  Filled one card and part of another, as my laptop didn't really have enough storage to offload the images.  First time I've filled a card in a long time.

-Noel