3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2011 10:12 PM by Rick Gerard

Send renerdings from a Mac for completion on a PC

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello All,

I have a Mac and use CS4,  the other  editor has a PC and uses CS3.  When I send her .mov, .flv and .f4v she  cant open them or she gets a blank movie.  I didn't try .mp4 yet.  Is  there a solution to this.  Is this a Mac/PC problem or a CS3/4 problem.

Also since its over the web I'm try to sen the highest quality smallest file size possible. Please suggest.

I sent her a Tiff Sequence of the movie that I created using AE, and she was able to open that in her version of AE.

I will aslo post this question in the Premiere Forum.

Thank You in ADveance

• 1. Re: Send renerdings from a Mac for completion on a PC
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You just need to render to a codec that is installed on both machines. Image sequences are probably the easiest. Animation Codec or Jpeg Quicktimes will also work.

• 2. Re: Send renerdings from a Mac for completion on a PC
            Cris is Bliss Level 1

How do professionals transfer files over the internet (or do they) when they are working on a project.  And what would you send a client for review, Quicktime animation also. The Animation Codec for Quicktime produces such big files.

While I'm on the subject, why are there so many different codecs,  are they all used? or are they leftovers from eariler times.

Thanks for the answer Rick

• 3. Re: Send renerdings from a Mac for completion on a PC
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The cloud or an FTP server can be used to share files between users but usually the files are too large for easy sharing over the internet. Two minutes of 10 bit YUV HD would be about 20 GB, Two minutes of ProREZ 444 would be about 5.6 GB so moving production codec footage between users via the internet is impractical.

For client review I have been using the Vimeo or YouTube Presets from the Adobe Media Encoder to render the client approval files. You'll get very good quality by rendering that way. You'll even get better results if you modify the HD Presets to 2 pass encoding.

There are so many different codecs because there are so many manufacturers and everyone has their own theory about what's best. Some are optimized for specific hardware (Black Magic and Avid for example). Some are optimized for specific camera systems (Sony XD Cam or Panasonic DVCPro) for example. There are also legacy and production codecs from software manufacturers and MPEG codecs from folks trying to capture their share of the internet and digital television business. It's difficult to know which are best and it's dangerous to install many 3rd party or beta codecs on any computer. There have been many threads on many forums describing problems, crashes, lost data, and other headaches caused by funky codecs or codec packs that foul things up.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Always try and keep the production pipeline as clean as possible and always try to use the least amount of compression for your intermediate and archiving projects. Don't expect video stored on hard drives to be playable on any machine 10 years from now because things change so fast. Make sure that you have a plan for long term storage. It's not nearly as simple as it was when we were all shooting on film.

1 person found this helpful