6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 10:54 AM by Peter Grainge

How to delete broken links from robohelp 9

priyadarshini gupta Level 1

Currently I'm using Robohelp 9, unable to perform following actions in the project:

1. Permananetly delete broken links from the project.

2. Updated content and file are shown in search but not in index and in index broken links files are shown.

Kindly tell me how to solve this issue , as my project is too big and unable to delete broken links as they are re-appearing again in the 'broken link' folder after deleted by me.

• 1. Re: How to delete broken links from robohelp 9
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there and welcome to our community

You don't delete broken links. As the links are broken, you must *REPAIR* them. At that point they won't appear in your project.

Of course, as with any repair, you must perform some troubleshooting in order to determine exactly *WHY* the link has broken. It could be that a file has been inadvertently deleted or its name has been changed outside of RoboHelp. But you won't know exactly what has happened until you begin the troubleshooting process.

Best of luck to you... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 2. Re: How to delete broken links from robohelp 9
            AlbusTeck Adobe Employee

Hi

Please take following steps:

1. Take backup of the entire project by just making of copy of the project

2. Delete the .xpj file and open the project with .hhp file

3. Try to resolve broken links. In order to resolve broken links, please perform following steps:

3.1. Click the tools menu in RoboHelp

3.2. Choose Resolve broken links, it will open Resolve Broken Links window

3.3.  Try to restore them from there or create dummy page and see if that is resolving or not.

However if that doesn't resolve, then let me know how you are trying to delete broken links?

Regards

Swaraj

• 3. Re: How to delete broken links from robohelp 9
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Swaraj

I'm confused and would like some clarification.

You said: Delete the .xpj file and open the project with .hhp file

My confusion is that if a project has been created in RoboHelp 9 and one has never compiled a CHM file, there will be no HHP to open the project from. Assuming this is a critical step, I might think generating a CHM would be part of the process.

Additionally, I'm curious how deleting the XPJ assists with the process of resolving broken links. Can you please expound?

Thanks... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 4. Re: How to delete broken links from robohelp 9
                AlbusTeck Adobe Employee

Hi Rick

I suggested basic troubleshooting steps in order to restore the actual files and links inside the project which may help to work with the process of resolveing broken links.

According to the user's information, he is using RoboHelp9 which doesn't mean that the project has been created in RoboHelp9 and never been generated .CHM.

Yes, you are right, that without generating .chm we can not have .hhp.But since the user is facing the issue of broken links, then it might be possible that user is using previous version project which could have .HHP and upgrading in RoboHelp9.

If user doesn't have the .HHP then he can use .XPJ after deleting .CPD file for the same process.

At the end, I have also suggested user to take backup of the project to be in safe side.

So let's see what is coming up from user's side, we can then suggest accordingly.

Let me know if you still have any query.

Regards

Swaraj

• 5. Re: How to delete broken links from robohelp 9
                  priyadarshini gupta Level 1

Hi Rick/Swaraj,

Thanks for replying!

I would like to tell you that , I'm using a robohelp 9 project and have generated .CHM file and in the .CHM file all stated errors are showing.

Also , I'm unable to find .XPJ and .CPD files.

Kindly tell me in project where these files are located and if there is any other option to solve the problem?

I didn't find too the repair option , there is a restore option after left click, I'm restoring the broken link and then deleting them. But the deleted files are reappearing in the broken link folder. Kindly tell me is there any option to delete all files from broken link folder as they are not required.

• 6. Re: How to delete broken links from robohelp 9
                    Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

Both of those files should be in the root of your project. However, I would delete the CPD only at first and open the project with the XPJ file.

Rick did not say there was a repair option, he said you need to repair the links. Swaraj told you how to try that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge